Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pain relief for lame hen?  (Read 3364 times)

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
Pain relief for lame hen?
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:32:33 am »
I took my lame hen to the vet who examined her and prescribed Meloxaid 1.5mg (dog strength).  The vet got her book out to ascertain the correct dosage and told me to give her it for 5 days.  When I got home and went to give my hen the instructed dosage I thought it seemed wrong.  I am aware (please correct me if this is wrong) the dosage for a hen is 0.1mg per KG.  Well the vet instructed me to use the meloxaid syringe and to draw 30kg - what you would give a 30kg dog!  My hen weighs 3kg.  I do remember the vet said she was prescribing double the normal amount for a 3kg hen as she seemed to be in a bit of pain.

Any thoughts?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Pain relief for lame hen?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:37:32 pm »
I'd ring the surgery and ask the admin staff to double check the dosage

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:07:27 pm »
I seem to remember the correct dosage for a cat is the same as a chicken and the dog dosage is twice as strong. So you should be drawing the dosage for a 3 Kg dog. As said, check with the surgery because I can't imagine a 20x dose will do her any good.

The alternative for pain relief is half a 300mg Asprin per day- vet prescribed it for us and it works very well indeed. Usually only need it once or twice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:57 pm »
OMG that's far too much for a hen,  Hope you haven't done it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:43 pm »
No, I haven't given her that strength - I'm waiting on the vet phoning me back.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 09:28:20 pm »
No, I haven't given her that strength - I'm waiting on the vet phoning me back.
And ten hours later she's still in pain?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 11:29:05 am »
You might need to think about another vet for your chickens!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 05:34:30 pm »
Is she still in pain? #eeyore

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 08:20:21 pm »
You say the vet got  her book out to check the correct dosage, and you are questioning it now on a forum rather than at the time with the vet?
As a vet myself, we don't prescribe medication for chickens as often as we do cats and dogs, and the medications are licensed for dogs and cats so the dosage on the bottle is for dogs and cats. We will usually have to look up the dosage for chickens to make sure it is correct and the most up to date evidence for that dose.
As chickens have a faster metabolism than dogs and cats, the dose is higher for chickens. The dose for dogs is 0.1mg/kg per day, so that is how the dog syringe is calibrated, so when chickens require a higher dose, it is usually a dose that is considerably more than their actual weight. 1mg/kg once a day is a very commonly used dose in chickens,  so as this is 10 times the dog dose, your vet is absolutely correct to say to give 30kg dose for your 3kg chicken. 
I hope your chicken feels better soon and you feel more confident to ask about the dose before leaving the practice if you are unsure about any medications in future.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 04:14:12 pm »
Thanks for that FSN - I was mistaken, my apologies.  Even at 75 (almost) I am learning every day.

I hope the hen is much better

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 05:02:15 pm »
Thanks everyone, yes my vet clarified the dosage was correct and hen is doing ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS