Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit press  (Read 3189 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Fruit press
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:33:07 pm »
I was going to put this under homebrewing but decided to post it here instead.

I am thinking of getting a fruit press, have done a bit of research and think that around 6L would be adequate, what I would like to know is does anyone use the stainless steel type or is everyone using the wooden ones, which is the better option?

Also are the cross beam type more robust, easier to use than the rachet type, are there makes and models out there to definately avoid, am i better off getting something more expensive assuming it will last a lifetime??

Hope anyone can answer any of these questions, would love to know what everyone else has got or has tried and how they got on.

Dawn

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: Fruit press
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:58 am »
Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.

My local home brew shop hires out pulpers and presses. If it was my plan to buy one, I would hire one first to see how it works. A little experience is probably going to help you make up your mind to what is best.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:54:24 pm »
Hi NN

Yes our local shop hires them out too, might be worth doing as you say to see what the outcome is, thanks

Dawn

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »
I've got a Vigo, I find it really hard to turn when squeezing out the juice (apples). Also bought a chopping device that attaches to an electric drill (bucket with a blade on underside of lid) so the apples are chopped before trying to press. Dissappointed with them both, and they haven't been used for years. If you are going to buy one go for something a bit larger than I did (photo attached of my model).

:(

You've spurred me into having another go though now.....

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:42:16 pm by OhLaLa »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS