Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello (just joined)!  (Read 1227 times)

Ed.B

• Joined Oct 2018
Hello (just joined)!
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:42:24 pm »
Hi everyone - I’ve just joined as am really interested in learning more about smallholdings, with a view to hopefully finding some land to look after at some point. So definitely at the start of this journey, but with a bit of background as I run a Rural Skills training programme in Gloucestershire, with lots of drystone walling, hedge laying, coppicing and charcoal burning, plus a few other bits and pieces. Any advice on finding a few acres of land, realistically to rent, would be very welcome (been doing a lot of internet searching, which is how I found the forum) and thanks in advance!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello (just joined)!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:39:33 pm »
Sounds like you've made a good start! Welcome to TAS  :wave:

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:24:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about experience especially the coppicing and charcoal aspects
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:21:24 pm »
 :wave: Welcome to TAS. Sounds like you've made a good start by doing the training programme. At least by teaching it you know what's what. Good luck with your hunt for land. Whereabouts are you looking?

Ed.B

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:18:05 am »
Thanks for your replies everyone!  :wave:

With the coppicing and charcoal burning - its coppicing in autumn / winter, for stakes and hetherings to use when hedge-laying, but larger wood is stacked to dry for summer charcoal burning (5-6 burns per season, which involves cutting / splitting logs, stacking kiln, charcoal burning itself, sorting and bagging the result - this is the really messy bit.)

Sorry if this is well known and obvious - certainly don't want to harp on about things to folk who know it all backwards, especially as a newcomer..

Also thanks for the good luck in searching - I'm working out a move closer to my job in Glos, but am flexible so am thinking about west of the county. Really it's just about finding some land to start with - getting that experience, so definitely aren't fussy.

And good luck with your own smallholding plans - would be great to hear a bit more about these if that's ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS