Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: African Swine Flu  (Read 1860 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
African Swine Flu
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:53:34 pm »
As many of you on here have probably heard in the media that African Swine Flu has reached Belgium. I was at a briefing the other day regarding this epidemic showing it's  spread and how it has decimated herds/farms in eastern Europe and China. So i thought i'd just try to pass on a few things from it.
I work in the pig industry and they are very concerned about this. The virus can stay on the pork product for up to 1000 days. Even through it being frozen. There are timescales for other actions and i shall endevor to get them and post them here for you.
There is an anti-viral vaccine being developed in Spain (i think) at the moment but obviously the outcome/effectiveness of this is not known as of yet.

All i would like to stress to people on here is the total need for planning regarding bio-security of your property and the legal requirement of need not to feed your pigs food that has been in your kitchen.

I am not trying to give anyone scare tactics or alike but this is a serious deadly virus that could really hurt those of you that keep pigs for either meat or pets.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

stewartsetter

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: African Swine Flu
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:06:56 pm »
Hi alang,

I'm new to working with Livestock as I volunteer on a rare breed farm and have an interested in keeping a pig myself one day.  what's the issue with feeding veg waste from your own kitchen? (not that I have, just curious as to why)

Thanks,
Stewart

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 01:12:32 pm »
Hi alang,

I'm new to working with Livestock as I volunteer on a rare breed farm and have an interested in keeping a pig myself one day.  what's the issue with feeding veg waste from your own kitchen? (not that I have, just curious as to why)

Thanks,
Stewart

The issue is cross contamination with meat products.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:18:33 pm »
Hi Stewartsetter

As harmony pointed out it is illegal to feed your pigs anything that has been in the kitchen be they scraps of food or fruit.. It is to stop cross contamination and prevent outbreaks such as foot & mouth.

Try this link. We just received this via Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

www.gov.uk/government/news/african-swine-fever-risk-reminder
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS