Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Converting single axle trailer to livestock trailer with ply  (Read 2232 times)

roblay01

• Joined Jul 2018
Converting single axle trailer to livestock trailer with ply
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:59:18 pm »
Hi,

We are looking at getting a pair of GOS weaners in the new year and i am tying to get everything in place before they arrive. I currently have an IW P8e with mesh sides and wonder whether i can convert it for pigs by adding some removable ply sides, roof and gates? I've read similar posts here but haven't really found a definitive answer?

The trailer floor is a washable, waterproof finish and I'm thinking the ply sides and roof  could be finished with several coats of poly and then jet washed/disinfected after use. It is only likely to be used a handful of times per year but at £1k to trade up to a livestock trailer i am hopeful i could save several hundred quid and keep the versatility of the open topped trailer?

Does the trailer have to have a roof and gates or could i simply get away with using my existing trailer with a couple of sheets of 4 ft ply bolted to the sides? The tailgate is at a decent angle and clad with aluminium treadplate.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Converting single axle trailer to livestock trailer with ply
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 08:42:41 pm »
I've seen worse turn up at the abattoir before now, cage trailers with tarp strung over, etc...

Should be easy enough to add a roof, etc... Might not even need gates, depends where you are loading/unloading.

IW say there is a canopy/livestock option on that trailer but i don't see it on the accessories page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 08:56:01 pm »
Yes, there's definitely a livestock canopy available for that trailer. Your local Ifor dealer should be able to look up a price for you.

However, if you have a bit of time to play with, put a favourites search on Ebay for trailer top, truckman top, truck canopy etc. We picked up a couple of decent canopies this way that we've used as a goose house and a lamb shelter. However, if you can get something at the right size or near enough, it could be made to fit quite easily.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:30:07 am »
Isn't it technically illegal to transport livestock in some older trailers..? I'm sure there was some legislation brought it a few years ago about the angle of the ramp which made a lot of trailers illegal? Anyone else remember it, maybe it was just a consultation or for new trailers..?

My neighbours trailer was 'impounded' at a cattle market years ago and he wasn't allowed to move it it until he replaced the hitch and then had to have gates fitted on his livestock trailer. Saying all that I regularly took pigs to the abattoir in a horse trailer and was never told off. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS