Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking to learn about mushrooms  (Read 1559 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
Looking to learn about mushrooms
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:43 pm »
hello for a few years now iv been trying to find someone to teach me about foraging and identifying mushrooms there are alot that grow near me  but im hesitent to pick them without knowing whats safe if you know anyone who is  knowledgeable please message me asap mushroom season is near and i really want to pick some this year thanks for reading

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Looking to learn about mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:59:58 pm »
There are some good books around on identifying mushrooms. I used to collect them but can't remember which ones apart from puff balls which I love.

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:48:26 pm »
I knew plenty, but I suspect that we live a stone throw to far away.  ;D

But here is a tip I always tell beginners, learn about the poisonous bolete style mushrooms (in my country there is just one, the Rubroboletus satanas) and if the bolete style mushroom doesn't look like it, taste the mushroom. And if you don't spit it out directly, then it's not the Tylopilus felleus (not poisonous, just utterly disgusting) and you can eat it. But check if you have more than one poisonous in your country.

But what about that foraging guy in River Cottage? Doesn't he hold courses?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:11:39 pm »
Try Youtube. Lots of advice on there about garding etc. Might find out what you need to know .

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 04:43:23 pm »
Thanks for the information

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:04:27 pm »
I'd say fungi season was almost over around here (Mid Wales) and we're farther south....
V is my go-to person on those and will try some. I stick to identifying Bluets and Ceps and Parasols.
We did go to a lecture on them once but had to leave after the lecturer asked what clues might indicate muchrooms were harmful and I stuck my hand up and said "A corpse lying next to one is off-putting"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS