Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Say it with wellies  (Read 5993 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Say it with wellies
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 12:12:15 am »
I well remember the year that my mother was horrified when I told her what my husband had given me for Christmas. I can't see why. I'd wanted a wormery for ages and told her so. She still doesn't think it was much of a present. Not surprising really. She also couldn't understand why I kept goats for so many years.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »

I had a fabulous collection of socket sets and spanners.  Whitworth, Imperial and Metric.   :censored: ex-hub nicked them when we parted - I’d owned them for more than a decade before I met him.  :furious: :furious:

Sounds like you're better off without him... unfortunate the socket sets were the price you had to pay to get shot!

Good way to look at it! 

My GBF at the time had me change the errant soon-to-be-ex-hub's entry on my phone to "Selfish *4nker", which fitted very well.  :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
If Mrs Womble is :spin: spinning these days, what about some lovely prepped fibre for a treat?
I sell knitting yarn btw. 10 balls for £10 lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 10:59:29 am »
My Christmas present to my wife last year was new LED floodlights in her barn/stables.  She was over the moon with them as it was the first time she had been able to muck out the horses with proper lighting for over 10 years. 

For her birthday this year she had new guttering on the barn/stables.

New wellies?! That would be a very special treat. 

I bought an Aigle boot bag to go with her new pair when I treated her a while back.  The floodlights were definitely a better idea....

I realise that these may not be traditional 'gifts for the lady in your life' but if I bought her perfume or lip balms etc she would likely throw them at me. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 09:03:58 am »
Thanks for the ideas everybody. After careful consideration, I have decided to go with [member=23109]Mad Goatwoman of Madeley[/member] 's suggestion, and fill them with worms  :idea: . I'm confident that Mrs Womble will be delighted  :cake: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 12:05:36 pm »
My mum always wanted something personal for birthdays etc, couldn't understand me wanting some oven/table cookware (hadnt been married long). But one year she asked me what I wanted, I said 'miners helmet and matching headlights for my wheelbarrow (before the head torches came in). She laughed, I got a boring sweater ?.
Once got a wheelbarrow and muck fork off a boyfriend though, best present. Mum was disgusted.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 11:35:25 pm »
Thanks for the ideas everybody. After careful consideration, I have decided to go with [member=23109]Mad Goatwoman of Madeley[/member] 's suggestion, and fill them with worms  :idea: . I'm confident that Mrs Womble will be delighted  :cake: .

Not quite what I said, Womble, so don’t go blaming me if she doesn’t appreciate them.

The funny thing is with my mum, when I was a child and would ask her what she would like as a gift, she always asked for tea towels. I never did buy any.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 08:59:54 am »
Quote from: Mad Goatwoman of Madeley link=topic=102466.msg705755#msg705755
Not quite what I said, Womble

Don't worry, I do also appreciate your other suggestions. However, I'm afraid that a goat might eat the wellies, which would be no use at all. Oh, and before you ask, yes I do have extensive experience of this sort of thing......

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 11:53:53 am »
And there was me thinking those tales of shepherds, sheep and wellies were just myth   :hugsheep:   :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 08:07:39 pm »
And there was me thinking those tales of shepherds, sheep and wellies were just myth   :hugsheep:   :innocent:

I did think, should I tell him why it’s not been working..,
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 08:53:25 pm »
U meen I'm doing it all rong?  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 10:07:15 pm »
U meen I'm doing it all rong?  :innocent:

Well, I suppose it depends... different strokes for different folks, I guess...  :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 09:09:35 am »
Unfortunately the worms didn't arrive in time, so I had to come up with something else.

So, apart from sheep, what else does Mrs Womble like?  Aha!  Cheese!  :idea:

In the end I went for the tried and tested Hunter Vase for one foot, and a cheese for every year of her life for the other. Sometimes I just amaze myself with my own brilliance  :dunce: .

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:38 am »
Love it.. and she gets the worms when they arrive as well.

The cheese for each year is a great idea but it would give me a problem with having to open one of the eight dairy lea triangles boxes to take two out..   :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:01 am »
Love it.. and she gets the worms when they arrive as well.

The cheese for each year is a great idea but it would give me a problem with having to open one of the eight dairy lea triangles boxes to take two out..   :roflanim:

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS