Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bald patch  (Read 1345 times)

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
Bald patch
« on: October 20, 2018, 11:40:11 pm »
On Thursday I noticed a small patch of wool missing from one of my sheep but she was OK apart from that. On Friday the bald patch had suddenly grown to be the whole of her rump on one side. Called the vet who came out just before it got dark and took some tape swabs and scrapings for analysis. Feedback today was that she could not find any parasites but I should give her a spray with Crovect (as I had told her I had some from an earlier fly-strike on a different sheep in early August) but I'm not too happy about doing that directly onto bare skin. She is coming back on Monday to take some blood.
 Really, there is not the slightest hint of wool or fluff on the bald patch. Anybody seen this before? She is perfectly happy and shows no other signs of anything untoward.

Appreciate any advice forthcoming.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Bald patch
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:51:27 pm »
Your not saying she is biting her rump or constantly rubbing on gates/posts/trees so rules out skin parasites .  Could be but doesn't read like stress related wool loss , as normally new fuzz would be seen .   So initial  guess would be  either she had maggots at some point  or rain scald which formed a  matt , in both case's the wool would fall off leaving skin

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bald patch
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:10:02 am »
Wool slip - quite common if stressed earlier in the summer. If skin is clear and nice and pink, it will sort itself .Some new fluff will grow soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS