Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing at tupping time  (Read 2192 times)

Farmernick

• Joined Aug 2017
Electric fencing at tupping time
« on: September 05, 2018, 11:46:10 am »
So I have a little predicament. I have just moved my ewes onto some better grass as I need to let our other field rest. I have 60 ewes, 40 of which will be tupped to one our rams and the other 20 to another.

I’ll be tupping at the beginning of October. My original plan was to move the 20 back for the 34 days they will be with one of the rams, but I still think the field needs more time to recover/grow. The field they are all now in is big enough to strip graze so my thought was to use electric to split the field in two, with 40 ewes and a tup one side, and the remaining 20 ewes and tup on the other.

How many strands should I make the fence to stop the tups trying to get through into next door? I was thinking three strands of electric but I really don’t want to end up with the wrong tup on the wrong side of the fence!!  ::)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Electric fencing at tupping time
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 11:49:51 am »
I would go with option 1.  An electric fence could be disastrous when a tup is in the height of passion, or determined to have a bust up with the other tup.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Farmernick

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 11:53:26 am »
I would go with option 1.  An electric fence could be disastrous when a tup is in the height of passion, or determined to have a bust up with the other tup.

This is what I thought. Probably best in the long run!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 03:30:00 pm »
I’m planning on having a field in between my tupping groups... definitely don’t rely on electric. Just take the 20 back to the other field and supplement if they need something extra either with energy blocks or cake.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 11:04:43 pm »

How many strands should I make the fence to stop the tups trying to get through into next door?

Where’s the symbol for infinity?  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:07:34 am »
Our tup marched straight through our electric fencing last year without a care in the world to get some better grass nevermind if ewes had been on the other side!

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:01:22 pm »
Never have a problem with my tup, leave him in from September to lambing time in February. Electric fence and ewes in a field just down the road who aren't pregnant, he won't go anywhere :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »
Never have a problem with my tup, leave him in from September to lambing time in February. Electric fence and ewes in a field just down the road who aren't pregnant, he won't go anywhere :)

yes but if you read the original post the electric fence is to separate 2 tupping groups in 1 field, a definite no no. both my tups stay behind electric fence but never would rely on it to keep them separate in the same field when out with their respective ewes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS