Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking machines  (Read 2520 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Milking machines
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:40:51 am »
Hi, I broke my wrist last year and can now only milk one handed as to painful to use and weaker now.
It wasn't a great problem, only took longer milking time, however I am now milking three goats so am looking into  using some sort of milking aid. A milking machine is a bit of over kill with just three goats to milk and is quite expensive, so am looking alternative ideas. Has anyone else had success with alternative milking equipment that they have used successfully that you could recommend.

Many thanks with winter round the corner, and my other hand starting to ache now need to do something.

Angie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Milking machines
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:15:23 am »

A proper milking machine is the best investment you can make in goat keeping - it not only means you can milk more goats (or even just a couple of high yielders) even when your hands/wrists are packing in (as mine are), but it also means that you can have another person doing your milking if you are away, either as an emergency or planned.

They are expensive to buy, but well maintained they last forever and keep their value. Secondhand ones are like hens' teeth - so that tells you that people who buy one keep it!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:58:57 am »
We have this one https://tim-gibson.com/products/mini-milker/ for the cows. There's a two cluster version for goats. We've had ours for five years and it works really well.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:05:43 pm »
We have this one https://tim-gibson.com/products/mini-milker/ for the cows. There's a two cluster version for goats. We've had ours for five years and it works really well.
I agree, we have one for the goats ( 2 cluster )  in the 20 odd years we've replaced the clusters when needed and the silicon pipes when its needed, I have a spare set of pump vanes, not yet needed, Motor and switches are original as well. Best milker I ever bought , apart from Mrs RTB that is  ( the milker was cheaper though )

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:29:39 am »
I had a Dansha one from the states which is fine for just a few goats as it only does one at a time. I did intend selling it and a couple of TASers were interested but I can't remember who. It's still available if they want to to try again.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 12:00:51 pm »
Hi Mad goat woman I have sent you a pm

Angie

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:42:03 pm »
Hi Mad goat woman I have sent you a pm

Angie

Replied.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 06:28:53 pm »
Hi Leslie sent you another pm

Angie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS