Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slow Eggs ?.  (Read 2120 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Slow Eggs ?.
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:31:08 am »
Hi, we had our first ever egg last Thursday, we only have four chooks. Since then nothing, is this usual when a hen first starts to lay ?. We suspect the layer was one of our RI Reds. WE have noticed since the first egg, she has been visiting the coop and staying inside for 15 to 30 minute periods. Is she trying to produce another egg maybe ?. We did find a substance in the coop that looked possibly the white of an egg ( but no shell ).

Badger

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Slow Eggs ?.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:50:51 am »
Yes, they can be quite erratic to start with, and the eggs can vary an awful lot too.  Just keep an eye on her in case she is egg bound.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:59:09 pm »
It's been a week and a half since that first perfect egg. Since then we have found 2 small soft eggs, but now nothing. Is this normal ? she seems perfectly happy otherwise.

Badger

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:07:29 am »
Round about now they are going into their moult, the proteins they use for egg making  is reverted over to feather production. Ours are pretty well point of lay now, but they are also looking as if they are going to moult so hit and miss on our first eggs for a while, i await our first eggs with anticipation. As has been mentioned keep an eye out for egg bound just in case; make sure they have protein now so they can get through this stage it tales it out of them a bit.

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:12:03 am »
We don't think they are showing any signs of being egg bound.......just have to be patient I suppose.

Badger

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:15:34 am »
Forgot....what do you suggest as a form of extra protein ?.

Badger

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS