Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hill Radnor Sheep  (Read 2246 times)

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Hill Radnor Sheep
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:39 am »
We are looking to add our first lambs to the holding soon and like the idea of having Hill Radnors as they are our 'local' rare breed with characteristics (according to the reading we have done), which would suit us well. 

Does anyone on here have any direct experience with Hill Radnors or have any breed specific tips to offer? 

Any useful contacts for breeders local to the Presteigne area would also be appreciated. 

TIA  :sheep:

Maggy

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Hill Radnor Sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:30:27 pm »
We have had various breeds of sheep over the years and have now settled on Hill Radnors.  We have had them for only 5 years so by no means an expert on the breed but we find them very easy to care for and love keeping them.  They are inquisitive so easy to deal with, are easy breeders-it's v.rare to have to help them with lambing-and all round good doers.  They also taste really good and although a hill breed have a decent sized carcass.
There is a list of members on the Hill Radnor Flock Book Society's web site (www.hillradnor.org.uk) and there is also a FB page if you are a FB person.  The HRFBS secretary is very helpful and could put you in touch with a breeder in your area (we are in Carmarthenshire so probably a bit far for you).  An excellent choice of breed if I may say so, although I may be biased! 

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Re: Hill Radnor Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:00:26 pm »
Thanks Maggy

The reasons that you list for keeping them are much the same as ours, with the added bonus that my wife loves the look of them too! 

I have found a (very) local breeder using the hillradnor website who is only around 4 miles away from us, so I will get in contact with them and see where we go.  There was a sale in Talybont on 8th Sept, which we missed, but I am sure there will be others.....

Useful list of breeders on the website too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS