Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cider - started today....ugh!!!  (Read 6160 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Cider - started today....ugh!!!
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »
Well - we scratted the apples - that went OK - sort of. It was harder work than I expected but one we got the hang of it it was fine.

Then we started on the pressing and that was a NIGHTMARE.

I can see why there are so many designs for making one's own cider press!! The ratchet system on the one we got didn't seem to work and I had to take out and re-insert the ratchet "key" each time to turn the disc twenty degrees so it went very slowly.

We got through two boxes this afternoon - only another 13 to go!!!! Although I have to say that things did get slightly quicker as went along but the dysfunctional ratchet was an ABSOLUTE PAIN!!!

But the other thing we had to deal with was our own expectations. I know from Keats' "Ode to Autumn" that it's a slow process:

Or by a cyder-press, with patient look,   
Thou watchest the last oozings, hours by hours.   

....... we need to be PATIENT
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Cider - started today....ugh!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 08:34:05 am »
My mum used to say "patience is a a virtue, possess it if you can, you'll find it in a woman but never in a man."

We're so used to things being fast / instant, it's hard to be patient. No-one saves for anything any more, just get it NOW on and pay later. Sorry, off topic.

I'm sure your cider will be well worth the wait.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:06:59 pm »
Yes - we've now got more efficient at doing the scratting and pressing and the pressing is now a "concurrent activity" (favourite Army term) so we've been setting up the press and going off an doing something else, tightening the press whenever we go past and accepting that - for the sake of expedience - we are not going wring every last drop of juice out of the cake.

Hubby's off doing another load now.

So we'll set that up and then go and move the trailer out of the pig pen and into it's final start point for when they go to the abbatoir in 8 days time.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 02:16:42 pm »
The other version of Rosemary's saying is  Patience is a vitue ;Virtue is a grace;and Grace is a liile girl with a dirty face.

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »
I use a garden shredder for pulping the apples, i made a wooden box to go on the top of the shredder that you can fill up with apples, i made a press from bits and pieces i bought from a scrap yard, it cost £10 in total and i get about 3 gallons of juice with each press. I've attached a pic of the press i dont know if it wil work.

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:42 pm »
We are starting our 1st ever cider this weekend with our neighbours.  I'm glad I have ready your posts as I really didnt think it would take that long.  So at least we'll be prepared. :wave:

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:49:08 am »
we went down the tree to check out the apples yesterday, not quite ready yet, so i will be watching your progress too, i think we will be stating soon, first time ever, no equipment.....sounds like we have set ourselves a task and a half!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:21:00 am »
Has anyone converted a spin dryer (or washing machine with a spin cycle) into a juice extractor?

You might need a cloth bag inside the drum to act as a filter.

The old fashioned stand-alone spin dryers with a lid on the top should be OK. Half fill with crushed apples and stand well back!

The whole thing would need a good wash before using and an even better wash after. The apple juice is a bit corrosive (most fruit juice contains organic acids like Vit C) so the steel parts aren't going to like it. However, it's a once a year operation and provided the machine is well cleaned and dried after, it should be OK.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

jonkil

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:51 pm »
made mine from a 20 tonne garage hydraulic press..... so good the pulp comes out almost dry..... little effort required to press.

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:03:30 am »
we thought the same. did one lot with a juicer... 5gallons long long long time
then someone told me there was a lady with a machine to blitz them and a press and she takes 20% of juice.
loaded the landrover 13 x 16kg, and was all done and dusted in 3 hours.
and never cost a penny even better :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS