Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joining two lengths of stove chimney?  (Read 3202 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Joining two lengths of stove chimney?
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
We have recently brought onto our land a showman's living wagon, see picture here

The chimney for the wood burning stove was cut off for transit.  So there is a stump sticking up about a foot above the roof and then I have the three foot length with cowl that was cut off. (It is not the flue you can see in the picture by the way)

Would be interested in ideas as to how to put them back together again in a way that will withstand our gales!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
Re: Joining two lengths of stove chimney?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:00:45 pm »
By no means an expert with stove flues but it’s got to be simple enough. As a metal worker I would either say look for a standard fitting to connect two lengths of that diameter tube together from a stove manufacturer (probable push fit with a high temp bonding compound or riveted and taped), or weld it back together.

Welding is probably best done with mig if it is thin wall steel or a little inverter set if it is cast iron with the right welding sticks (expensive sticks but worth it) if cast heat both ends with a propane torch first - helps prevent cracking from thermal shock.

Of course you could just replace the whole length which might be quicker, simpler and less cost.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:47 pm »
By no means an expert with stove flues but it’s got to be simple enough. As a metal worker I would either say look for a standard fitting to connect two lengths of that diameter tube together from a stove manufacturer (probable push fit with a high temp bonding compound or riveted and taped), or weld it back together.

Welding is probably best done with mig if it is thin wall steel or a little inverter set if it is cast iron with the right welding sticks (expensive sticks but worth it) if cast heat both ends with a propane torch first - helps prevent cracking from thermal shock.

Of course you could just replace the whole length which might be quicker, simpler and less cost.

Thanks for ideas..

The standard fittings I have found so far are just narrow collars which I don't think would take the lateral forces (wind) on the top section.

You may well be right about replacing whole section

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:24:03 pm »
Just pop rivet the collar to both sections - you would be surprised how strong that is.

On 3 foot of pipe you won’t get much force in a high wind. What is the worst that can happen - you spend less than £20 and half an hours work and it bends a bit off true in a serious storm.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:30:53 pm »
Just pop rivet the collar to both sections - you would be surprised how strong that is.

On 3 foot of pipe you won’t get much force in a high wind. What is the worst that can happen - you spend less than £20 and half an hours work and it bends a bit off true in a serious storm.

yep, sounds good.  Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS