Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carcass disposal?  (Read 19726 times)

Sandy

Re: Carcass disposal?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 04:26:24 pm »
Hang on!! We still talking about birds, ??? nofeathered ones  ???;)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 07:42:04 pm »
I always incinerate my carcasses and if the bird was ill I put the ashes in the wheelie bin rather than on the garden.
I put one bird into a wheelie bin once and then had a dreadful fit of guilt about the smell of it at the tip, and the health implications for people working there. I have never done it since.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »
I always incinerate my carcasses and if the bird was ill I put the ashes in the wheelie bin rather than on the garden.
I put one bird into a wheelie bin once and then had a dreadful fit of guilt about the smell of it at the tip, and the health implications for people working there. I have never done it since.
I think there would be lot more hazardous things going to landfill than a  dead chicken!  If they are at least wrapped in two poly bags I think with the masks, overalls and gloves that are provided for the workers they would be pretty safe.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »

I know there are "Rules" and also there are the ways things are actually done........but I wonder if anyone from DEFRA ever reads peoples written "Confessions" on these forums? - Or someone from some MIL protection league or something..........
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »

I know there are "Rules" and also there are the ways things are actually done........but I wonder if anyone from DEFRA ever reads peoples written "Confessions" on these forums? - Or someone from some MIL protection league or something..........
;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 09:43:58 pm »
What's the (legal, environmental etc etc) difference between a (cooked) chicken carcass (left over from Sunday lunch) and an (also very dead) bird, although maybe uncooked in your wheelie bin?

I always find that one of my hens keels over the day after the binmen have been... but holes in the ground have to be very deep, as badgers (and foxes) can smell quite well and try to dig any kind of carcass out... Seen it... large stone on top also helps.

Btw what are you supposed to do with your fallen hens????

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 09:52:16 pm »

Btw what are you supposed to do with your fallen hens?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/byproducts/fallen/disposalqa.htm
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »

Btw what are you supposed to do with your fallen hens?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/byproducts/fallen/disposalqa.htm
Please note this applies only to England - If you live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland please contact your respective national agricultural departments for advice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »
This was the information given out during the Avian flu epidemic -small bird = chicken?

Disposal (Source - Defra) :

If the dead bird is a single small garden or wild bird then you do not need to call Defra.

You should:

* leave it alone, or
    * follow the guidelines below for disposal

By following some simple hygiene precautions people should minimise the risk of infection. It is hard for humans to catch bird flu from birds and the following steps offer simple and effective precautions.

If you have to move a dead bird:

1. Avoid touching the bird with your bare hands.
   2. If possible, wear disposable protective gloves when picking up and handling.
   3. Place the dead bird in a suitable plastic bag, preferably a leak proof one. Take care not to contaminate the outside of the bag.
   4. Tie the bag and place it in a second plastic bag.
   5. Remove gloves by turning them inside out and then place them in the second plastic bag. Tie the bag and dispose of in the normal household refuse bin.
   6. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
   7. Use a plastic bag as a makeshift glove if disposable gloves are not available. When you have picked up the dead bird, turn the bag back on itself and tie it. Then, place it in a second plastic bag, tie it and dispose of in the normal household waste.
   8. Alternatively, bury the dead bird, but not in a plastic bag.
   9. Wash any clothing that has been in contact with the dead bird using ordinary washing detergent at the temperature normally used for washing the clothing.
  10. Thoroughly clean any contaminated indoor surfaces with normal household cleaner.

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 09:08:59 am »
This was the information given out during the Avian flu epidemic -small bird = chicken?

Afraid not - thats a wild bird, not one used for food production. Nice try though  ;D

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 09:11:01 am »
I also fess up to chucking them into the septic tank.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »

Afraid not - thats a wild bird, not one used for food production. Nice try though  ;D

so if you take meat off your culled birds do they then become domestic waste.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »
I'm actually with the mother-in-law on this one!

I take any dead birds (pretty infrequently) up to the very top of my paddock (a good distance from the rest of the birds) where I know the fox lives nearby.

My theory is that if he has a bellyfull of dead chicken, he won't bother the live ones.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »
I have occassionally put our dead chooks in the septic tank.. i remember being told that in the old days folks used to put rabbits in the tanks to activate them...the tanks not the rabbits :-)  ;D ;D
Anyway,,,,, i dejuleded that chooks should do the same thing!!!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

I just put mine in the wheelie bin too, after all they are going to be buried at the tip then  ::)
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS