Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carcass disposal?  (Read 19725 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Carcass disposal?
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:21 pm »
OK - another question to do with my poor chook who died yesterday. What do you all do with your chicken bodies?

We have had a rather bizarre family fight this afternoon - my eccentric mother in law wanted to give it to the local fox - she was going to take it for a long walk to the end of the field behind us. I already said I didnt want this to happen - Im not too emotional about the chicken but I dont agree with feeding the local foxes. They are vermin which poo all over my lawn.

Anyway, as I drove through the gates from work I saw her running off (well, if you can describe a 80 odd year old who can hardly walk anymore running - more of a hunched over fast paddle) - she grabbed the box it was in and ducked off round the corner to hide it from me. Apparently my OH had said she could do it, so she tried to do a covert op to grab it, knowing I objected - OH hadnt known, but as she had she shouldnt have asked him behind my back.

So - now I have a sulking MIL, hungry foxes and a chicken body waiting for disposal still - a day late!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Carcass disposal?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:54 pm »
ooooh, mothers in law................. ooooooh. What else can you say?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:41:19 pm »
I just took mine to the tip!!! I just hate that when someone asks then dose what they want .....if that was me I would be mad toooooooo!!

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:27 pm »
I burn ours as we are always burning rubbish on top of the muck heap.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:34:19 pm »
Mine get double wrapped in poly bags and put in the wheelie. :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:28:38 am »
Before all the regulations about legal and illegal disposal came into force (of course), we used to dig a big hole and bury the hen, then plant a tree on top  :)
I used to have a MiL a bit like that, only 100 times worse - your story made me laugh I'm afraid, with her scuttling around with a corpse under her arm  ;D  Old ladies have been ducked in the village pond for less.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:03 am »
 :chook: defra have rules re disposal of fallen stock, pre these rules we used to incinerate all our birds,the odd one in the septic tank, have never heard of putting them in a wheelie bin.

we have a hunt locally that we can drop fallen stock off for propper disposal for a small fee re defra rules.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:18:20 am »
mine would have to go the wheelie bin route as theres not alot of other choices in a town.

surely letting the local fox have it just shows them chickens taste good, (not clever) how about leaving the MIL out for the foxes?

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:55 am »
Mine also go in the regular bin double wrapped. I really don't want to pay to get rid of it. Although we did have a post mortem on one of them as we were worried what she died of was infectious. It wasn't.

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
we have a nice plot for the fallen chucks. were lucky we are still allowed to bury fallen stock. i do face the problem of needing to cull out a fair few hens very soon. it would be silly to bury so i will look at the tip. i don't think teaching your local foxs that hens are yummy is such a good idea. you will end up with a que at the chicken coop.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:26:56 am »
@ Sandy - I read that you took your MIL to the tip!  ;D ;D ;D (I might just do that with my outlaws one day!)

Here in Herts the tips watch everything like hawks and often ask what's in your bags. They don't accept a whole load of things, even claiming that a few pathetic kitchen cupboards are construction waste. It'd be wheelie bins for us, too, if we had to dispose of a chook.

Eve  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:05:03 am »
 ??? ???Good Idea Eve ???

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 03:36:48 pm »
wheelie bin too.  then disguise the polybags with other rubbish. 
Cheers Helen

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
My last lot went into the veg patch around 3-4ft down

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »
I burn the odd one that falls, but I have had one or two that have dropped when in the pig pen and you have to be fast to get the carcass out or there is no trace within minutes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS