Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If I have more than one ram?  (Read 3097 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
If I have more than one ram?
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:38:19 pm »
If I were to have more than one ram can they be kept together away from the ewes? I have noticed on some farms that the rams are held together in another field, can you just put two together? or do you need to see how they respond to each other?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: If I have more than one ram?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:54:25 pm »
usally out of season there fine together is tupping that gets them bonkers and they would kill each other a friends farm lost 2 rams in a split second they wanted the girls few fields away started fighting then bang butted both killed outright

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:31:41 pm »
Never had any problems with mine - I keep all mine together, how many can vary, usually between 2 and 10.  They have butting matches, but no serious bouts.  Best to keep them away from the ewes unless tupping, but two is better than one on his own and three apparently is better again as the third one helps keep the peace.  There are a few posts on this - look back a few months, there's quite of bit of info by what I can remember.  Cheers!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:43:44 pm »
I have two tups plus two tup lambs together and they seem fine. Sometime soon, one tup (if no-one buys him) and the two lambs will go for slaughter but I have a wether for company for the remaining tup.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:59:33 pm »
They tend to have a mighty bust-up when they go back together after tupping, but if the boss peacekeeper is there it all settles down ok.  We have only lost one tup to head banging - he got a head injury and died a couple of days later.  Mostly their skulls are hard enough but they die if they break their necks.  As Morri2 says, have a look in past posts for how to lessen the risks. 
I like keeping several tups together - they become the best of friends  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:55 pm »
thanks for all your replies, its nice to rely on you for some ideas and answers.

cheers

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:45 pm »
we keep our boys together and generally ok, have 2 boys that have to be kept apart though!  I believe that it is better to introduce them in a confined space - they then don't get much run up to ram each other on the head, they generally settle within a few hours of being introduced to each other.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:30:14 am »
I have found that my Shetlands are mostly ok but I have one that is a bully he nearly killed his own son even jumped a fence to get to his son and finish the job. They are now separated after being together for two years and number one son has fully recovered after some TLC. Think it is wise to observe closely and watch out for bad behaviour.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:32:37 am »
I have two tups plus two tup lambs together and they seem fine. Sometime soon, one tup (if no-one buys him) and the two lambs will go for slaughter but I have a wether for company for the remaining tup.

Spoke too soon. Buddy and Leo trying to kill each other this morning. Had a shuffle round to remove the ewe lamb in the neighbouring field, but will keep them seperate until the ram lambs go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS