Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Playful" Doberman  (Read 2061 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
"Playful" Doberman
« on: September 25, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
apologies if this is a bit long..
While riding my bike across the park a young doberman came bounding toward me. It was all legs and bounce so I wasnt too concerned and I just veered off my course to avoid it.  It came up to my leg and lunged at my calf. I felt its teeth scrape against my calf and it slobbered down my leg. I was a bit more concerned then and turned sharply to avoid a second go.  It came around the other side of me and did the same with the other leg not breaking skin or anything. I stopped and shouted to the owner to control the dog as it was biting me- he was some way away.
By now the dog was happy that the chase was over and ran off with its owner chasing it.
This then ended up with a nasty argument with 3 of his dog owner friends who chipped in saying it was only licking me etc etc - I realise this deflected me from speaking further with the actual dog owner - who had now chased his dog some 2-300 yards away.
My question is - how seriously should I treat this - no real harm done but potentially a problem if I (or a child) had been knocked off my bike etc etc
The other dog owners infuriated me in their defence of their mate but I dont want this to detract from what action I should take about the dog.
or.. I could have just wasted two minutes of your reading time as well.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: "Playful" Doberman
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:18:24 pm »
Its all about your perception I think. I have a dog that mouths a lot and it doesn't bother me, I wouldn't put him in a situation where his playfulness could be misinterpreted as anything else..

The owner has acted really badly in my opinion. People are scared of dogs and if an owner was unable to recall his dog from someone who didn't want to interact with the dog then the dog should not be off the lead.. The other people getting involved would of really pished me off too..

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:22 pm »
Totally agree BJ_Cardiff - the dog knows no better and needs control before it is let off the leash. I would like to talk to the owner without the other three clowns because I feel I could have had a reasonable conversation with him especially as I wasnt hurt in anyway (and the dog was a beauty).
Sadly the three clowns were there without the doberman owner last night but funnily enough declined to repeat any of what they said last time because I was filming it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »
Totally agree with Beej. You might also feel moved to offer to help the owner with some training so the dog learns to either ignore bikes and or gets a better recall?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 06:42:06 pm »
Thank you scarlet.dragon very well put.
I would be happy to chat with the owner and help with the dog - just as I feel now happy to make a sensible peace with the other 3 because we are bound to bump into each other from time to time. Life's too short etc etc

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:29:51 pm »
Completely agrre with everyone.  Dog is out of control.  I too have an old boy who has always been 'mouthy' - he is the sweetest, gentlest dog in the world, but it could frighten people who don't know him. So he doesn't get to run at people in that way.  He is at heel walking quietly beside me if we meet anyone and if they want to talk to him - as they nearly always do because he is so handsome  :eyelashes: - he is given the word 'gentle' and he then just laughs but doesn't mouth people.
It is up to you how you deal with the matter but I would agree that it might be best to talk to the owner quietly if you can get him on his own - and dismount from your bike well before the dog arrives so you aren't running the risk of beimg knocked over
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS