Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Birds for the table  (Read 9324 times)

nagoff

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Birds for the table
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »
I've got a laying flock of light sussex and marans who are kept with a light sussex cockerel. I hatch about 10 chickens at a time and start eating them at anything from 10-20 weeks, depending on whim and current stoxk in the freezer - I found the first lot got eaten early due to my enthusiasm to start trying them out. As we've got better at managing the cycle, I now hold off til the freezer is empty and we get a bigger and better bird. Although, I start with the cockerels as I'm always a bit worried about them going tough if left too long.
I think our maran crosses are tastier than the pure light sussex but both are far better than supermarket stuff!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 04:49:55 am »
I did 10 white farm rangers in the middle of the year. Never again, though they had a rather cosy life and so on, it was just so unatural, Im rather new to keeping chickens, But know I will never have them again. Even though they were much better tasting than a super market bird. After about 15 16 weeks I felt that life quality was poor, I ended up giving them out to freinds, as I couldnt eat them all at once. Im going for marans now. Beleive they make a great dual purpose bird.
Craig

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:43:54 am »
woodlandproducts - what was wrong with the white farm rangers? Did they go off their legs? Get too big too quick?

I buy in 25 birds at 2/3 weeks off heat coz i dont have heat facilities, costs vary hubbards £1.49 each and cornish game cross £2.45 each and French sasso £2.00 each.
I have a chap come to despatch and dress the birds ready for the oven, this costs £3 per bird.

This sounds ideal. Where do you get birds off heat at that price, do they deliver nationwide ;D and I would happily pay someone else to come and do all the nasty stuff at the end of life. How do you find out about these people?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:45 am »
Sylvia, I'm thinking Orpingtons and Light Sussexes, too - what weight are they approx at, say, 20 weeks?

Is there a limit on how old a chicken or cockerel can be and still be tender to eat?

(I don't like the idea of superfast growers. As long as they are 4lbs or over I'm happy, it's ok if it takes longer.)

Eve  :wave:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »
ok i am being swayed by the possibilitys of slower growing meat birds

question what age do the boys start making cockerel noises as we live in a built up area and they wouldn't be popular i'm wondering if they are possible to grow on and finish before this is an issue?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS