Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crab apples -does storage improve  (Read 2282 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Crab apples -does storage improve
« on: September 15, 2018, 09:55:58 am »
Short q  - low battery!

Got crab apples, I don't have time for chutneys, wondered if I store then for a few months if they will mellow and become more easily eaten? Less lip curling? Thanks x

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Crab apples -does storage improve
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:42:06 am »
Probbaly one of those answers that depends on the apple. I've got at least 6 different types of tiny apples here planted by my predecessors. Some are oval spme more trdaitional in shae and vary from green through totally red with blushes and stripes in between.My old mum (accept she was 90+ at the time) told me her dad used to put a tray of whole tinies into the oven and then they'd eat them by holding the stalk and sucking the apply off the core....

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:41 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I love the idea of baking a tray of tinies!

Had no idea there were so many types of crabs (knew lots of genetic types, but sort of thought all were small, hard and sour. Sounds like my taste in men. Sorry.  :coat: 

Yesterday discovered another recently planted tree with tiny what I'd  call crabs, but bright red, incredibly fragrant - almost like wild strawberries or something. opened my eyes tohow different they can be. I'll pick a tray of the green crabs and see how they go in storage. Maybe end up giving them away to someone else in a few weeks time for cooking if they don't seem to be improving.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:52:02 pm »
T
Had no idea there were so many types of crabs (knew lots of genetic types, but sort of thought all were small, hard and sour. Sounds like my taste in men. Sorry.  :coat: 

Me too.  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 12:24:37 pm »

Pick some and give them a week, then see how they taste. Some varieties of apple aren't ready to eat until a little while after picking - I have a couple of trees of eaters just like that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS