Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: good quaity green grass lawn seed  (Read 2735 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
good quaity green grass lawn seed
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:11:48 pm »
Does anyone have a source for a good quality green grass lawn seed?

It's to make a golfing  green quality pair of small lawns so will need a fair few fescues & bents in it . ( But definitely no couch or rough rye grass seeds in it like my last two boxes of Wilkinson's grass seed had) .

At the beginning of this month I used Round Up to kill off all the lawns, borders  and raised beds for the couch grass got into everything in just over seven years of being sown as lawn seed .

It's getting power raked  as soon as we get the next dry day , then another weed treatment about 26 of Sept to knock any new emerging perennial weeds on the head.

I hope to re-sow both lawns ( 20 sq mtrs max)   by mid October at the latest.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: good quaity green grass lawn seed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:24:42 pm »
Some local agri stores will stock the garden range of a local grass seed merchant. Get in touch with the merchant directly and they may already have a mix suitable for your situation.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:29:23 pm »
Alison muirhead at grassseed direct - a font of knowledge.
01259 760400
She supplies agri, golf courses, top sports pitches, etc.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 02:20:10 pm »
Thanks , sometimes the bots running around our websites are useful. a few days later I get no end of golf green quality , grass seed supplier adverts showing up on the, " Always ignore this side of my computer's screen ".
 One looked reasonable so I wrote down the details and then put them into my search engine . Found a decent  one with four different fescues giving total of 30% fescues .
  On Friday I had finally completed the clearing of the lawns , incorportated in three bales of sedge peat and two bags of 4 week feed seed compost using ghe rototiller to a depth of 9 or more inches deep. then Fridy afternoon I used a 30 kg vibrating plate to level and compact the surface to get it very flat and slightly compacted . Sowed it at 38 gram per square metre by using druggies type digital scales to get the right amount in a plastic cup , poured it into a spray aerosol can's cap    drew the level line round the inside the cap , emptied the seed out then cut the cap down tot h line so that every subsequent cap full levelled off was going to be fairly close to the required 38 gram/sq. mtr .

Every thing was done just in time for a 14 hrs light drizzle to set the seed in the soil's surface . It got another long drizzle session on Saturday .
  I can't see any green grass yet,  should I ask for my £38 back ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:07:10 pm »
just out of interest , whats your soil temperature there ?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 02:32:37 am »
I don't honestly know, how ever it's been above 14 oC for several weeks so may be 12 oC or so .
 Obviously it will change when the sun & wind gets on it so will the evaporation rate of water/ moisture in the soil  .
  Tomorrow is supposed to be a fantastic Golden October day so it could creep up a bit .
 Grass seed  doesn't take long to germinate if it is moist and above 8 oC .  If I remember ( busy busy ) I'll check the ground temp in a couple of places later today Wed 10 Oct.
Most eed sold in the Uk is alleged to be tested at the temps of horizontal line drawn across the UK  through Derby,  the further north you go the earlier you need to sow and the further south of the line the later you can sow . If you said 50 miles  a day above or below the line it's about right .

This is from lawnuk.com

The weather needs to be right too. The soil temperature needs to be between 9-12 degrees Celsius for seed to germinate. This is usually from March through until September. Seeds also require adequate moisture to germinate and grow.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 07:31:18 pm »
Well its only 2 days, grass sown here in Aberdeenshire on sat 6th just coming through today.

I did once kid the old boy on the next croft that I got a good grass crop by sowing by hand,naked in the light of a full moon .

He soon realised I was mad when he saw the landrover being driven by the dog towing me on the tractor trying to jump start it, but that's for another day

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:44:36 pm »
Today's soil temps as promised

In permanent shade 14.6 oC  @ 100 mm deep
 Permanent sun 17 .8 oC @ 100 mm deep
Mixed sun & shade 15.6 oC @ 100 mm deep

Air temp 21.3 oC in the shade , 29 oC in the sun trap.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:47:15 pm by cloddopper »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS