Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken killed by crab!!  (Read 5563 times)

Sandy

Chicken killed by crab!!
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:43 pm »
My partner has some crab apples and he was happily throwing them into the chicken bit of the garden and then came to me saying " I think I just killed one by throwing an apple" I qestioned him about it and went to inspect and saw the chicken rock solid floating in the pond!!! why did you throw them without looking? never mind, shes gone now...we dispatched the chicken after fishing her out and then took the dogs for a walk but durring the walk I had to confess that I had thrown several bits of bread into the pond first thing in the morning and one chicken must have been so tempted and fell in...so my fault!! sorry Steve..but don't throw apples just in case!!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Chicken killed by crab!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05:49 pm »
double whoops

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:57 pm »
My partner has some crab apples and he was happily throwing them into the chicken bit of the garden and then came to me saying " I think I just killed one by throwing an apple" I qestioned him about it and went to inspect and saw the chicken rock solid floating in the pond!!! why did you throw them without looking? never mind, shes gone now...we dispatched the chicken after fishing her out and then took the dogs for a walk but durring the walk I had to confess that I had thrown several bits of bread into the pond first thing in the morning and one chicken must have been so tempted and fell in...so my fault!! sorry Steve..but don't throw apples just in case!!!!
And I hope you confessed to poor Steve in person as well as on here???????
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:26 am »
of course, even he thought the chicken was a bit stiff ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:29:20 pm »
 ;D  that has made me smile! poor Steve!  I've been known to bung food inc apples etc up into the chicken run and I always wince that it might hit one!! its like that scene in 'about a boy' where the lad hits a duck with a lump of bread and kills it!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:04:45 pm »
A bloke I used to work beside did a bit of shooting. He had a number of dead game birds hung outside the house. He looked out and saw a ferret dragging one away. He opened the door and through his boot (the nearest thing to hand) and it and killed it stone dead. He said he couldn't have done it if he tried.

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:25 pm »
 ;D ;D Yuo only get stuff when you are mad and don't aim!!

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:18:15 am »
My father in law took out a baby rabbit with a pair of garden shears thrown from over nine metres and around a large ornamental bird bath. Up to this point we had all pulled his leg for being a notoriously lousy shot.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:37 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

BAKEWELL11

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »
oh my!!! :( poor chicken! :( Poor Steve!! :( :( :(  I wouldn't have admitted it about the bread  ;)

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:39:45 pm »
In the back of my mind I think it may have been the  :&>!!!!!!! THe feathers on her back were parted odly so I think she may have gone down to the pool for a drink and Charlie  :&> saw the oppertunity and took her for a swim ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 06:22:59 pm »
In the back of my mind I think it may have been the  :&>!!!!!!! THe feathers on her back were parted odly so I think she may have gone down to the pool for a drink and Charlie  :&> saw the oppertunity and took her for a swim ;)
I think that's the likely explanation too.  How's sick chick?  I think I have one too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »
:chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 06:24:59 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS