Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken run advise  (Read 2164 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Chicken run advise
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:49:31 am »
Hi

Ok I know I asked this before but I don't recall if it was this site or I got an answer.

I have finally persuaded DP to get on with building me a larger chicken run to be permanent (so I can get me more chooks  ;) )

Anyway, we are now discussing  ::)  what is required. I think a roof on the run would be good as the ground would not turn into a swamp, and poo picking would be easier.  :)
I also read that being on the same ground all the time means the poo will gradually pollute the ground so it has to be sterilised occasionally.

DP just wants to make a small roofed area they can go in the rain.  :(  But I will be the one clearing them out  :-\

S0 - do your chooks have roofs - what do you think is best?
How do you clean them out and how often do you sterlise the ground - and what do you use?

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Chicken run advise
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:35:08 am »
we have a run with a small covered area, the rest just net, and they also have an old picnic table in there to make a very dry area for dust baths, plus its a vantage point!

however, mine are out free most days, the run is only used for days when i know i can't be back before dusk, so i just rake it over now and then.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30:15 pm »
Our bantie's had a roof last winter, over about a third of the run. However, with the weather being so bad, in January the weight of snow brought it crashing down! Fortunately, no real damage done, I should have realised it was a hazard sooner. Had a friend whose big old barn had the same thing happen to it. We haven't replaced it yet, but I am still thinking about it as it gets so wet in their run.

Beth

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »
I built a roof on our run but it was out of pallets. I didn't fill in the gaps in the pallets so some rain gets in. I put it on to stop mr Fox getting in really and it works well for that. We've only had the birds for about 7 weeks so haven't got round to sterilising the ground yet. Someone mentioned on another thread what to use for sterilisation.....can't remember what it was atm.  ??? Just checked and it's called Stelosan. The thread was called 'smell' and it is in the poultry section about page 4 I think.

I have the girls running on stone chippings which is useful for them as they like to have a good scratch round with me when I rake it over  :)

Hope some of this helps.  :)

Ian
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:51:09 pm by knightquest »
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS