Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Lambs  (Read 11259 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Dead Lambs
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »
It's a good job smallholders’ sheep do come when they're called! My little horrors had broken out of the field attached to the barn my neighbour lets me use for lambing, and into the rest of his fields. And of course, sod's law that today he brought up hundreds from his main holding to here.

But since mine are used to following me and a bucket, I was able to walk 50 little coloured sheep right through the middle of hundreds of big white sheep and back to where they were supposed to be  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »
Oh for a picture!  And of his face, if he saw!   :roflanim:

A million years ago, as a teenager, my first farm work was on a dairy farm.  My jobs included bucket-feeding the calves.

One morning I arrived to find the farmer ("mucky Eddie", already known for his epithet to some of you  :D) and his farmhand red, sweaty and bothered, and pretty darned cross at me.  The calves had escaped and had been leading the pair of them a merry dance. Oops.  "Sorry," I said, "but never mind, I'm here now.  I'll get them in - you two go on in and get your breakfasts."  How the divil was I going to get them all in on my own when the two of them hadn't been able to manage for 40 minutes of trying? ? ?, I was asked.  I smiled sweetly, suggested they let me have a go and get themselves rested and refreshed; if I was still struggling when they'd finished they could come and give me a hand.

I waited for the farmhouse door to close behind them, walked into the field and called, "Claribeeeeellll!  Lucaaaaas!!!  Benjy!!!" and so on.  Seven minutes later I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a cuppa.  "What!", shouted Eddie, as pleased at being right as he was cross at the extra work, "Given up already?!"  "Nope, all safe indoors and locked up."  The look on their faces... priceless  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 11:41:20 pm »
I can only say 'excellant' SintN
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:18 pm »
 :roflanim:  :roflanim:  :roflanim:  at Sally and jaykay!!!  Brilliant!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:21 am »
 :roflanim:Excellent.   :roflanim:  :cow:  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS