Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vets costs  (Read 8838 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Vets costs
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:38 pm »

There's a hunt kennels in Houston Julia - they'll take cattle & sheep, but not pigs.  But I guess that's a bit far for you?

america?  ;D ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:58 pm »

There's a hunt kennels in Houston Julia - they'll take cattle & sheep, but not pigs.  But I guess that's a bit far for you?

america?  ;D ;D
;D  It's not that far from us, but anytime we go over that way one of us always comes out with Houston, we're coming in to land  ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:11 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
Please can someone explain the term 'Hunt kennels' to me, and explain who or what they are and what they do in relation to killing/removing sick animals off a smallholding?  I mean, I am guessing that it is a place where  dogs are kept for hunting purposes...  but what has that got to do with a sick or elderly farm animal?

Thanks in anticipation  :thumbsup:
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:12 am »
they feed that animal to the hounds     saves them from buying n meat to feed them :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:05:49 am »
Our local hunt kennel told me they didn't take pigs because the dogs don't like pork, obviously no one told my 3 that. ::)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 10:13:12 am »
Our local hunt kennel told me they didn't take pigs because the dogs don't like pork, obviously no one told my 3 that. ::)

Ditto our don't take pigs either told me was too much cholestrol in pork for the dogs!?
Mandy :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:10 am »
my dogs are sick on pork especially if its fatty.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:10 am »
Hunt kennels is where they keep the hunting hounds.  They often offer a stock dispatch and disposal service to the local area - and generally, will do a humane and sensitive job.

Re: dogs not eating pork - the kennels will feed meat raw.  There used to be - and may still is, I'm not up-to-date on these things - a very rare but very lethal bug that was found in uncooked pork.  Salmonella cholerei suis, or something of the such which.  Because of this, people my age don't feed raw pork : although the risk of the meat carrying this bug is tiny, the consequences would be too great to take the risk.

There could be another reason, but that'd be my guess.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 12:46:43 am »
Normally, larger hunt kennels have approved incinerators for disposing of unwanted bits of carcasses etc. That's why they are often recommended as places for unwanted/dead animals.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS