Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vets costs  (Read 8843 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Vets costs
« on: July 05, 2012, 02:14:02 pm »
I called the vet out on 4th June, to see one of my pigs.  This was the first time I have called a vet out and I knew the bill would be horrendous as it was a house call on a bank holiday but it wasn't as bad as I expected.
It came to £83.51 which included a jab of Alamycin and of Metacam.

How do these costs compare to what other pay?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Re: Vets costs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:39:23 pm »
It compares very favourably, we recently called the vet at 6pm one weekday (not Bank Holiday) and the bill was:

Visit £52.45
Examination £43.86
Pen   Strep (Norbrook) 100 £12.30

Total £108.61

This includes VAT and a 25% surcharge for being 'out of hours'

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »
Our vets costs are more than Pete's.  Always find it extraordinary that they charge separately for the "visit" and the "examination", considering they cannot do an examination without visiting.   These days I do my best to explain the symptoms over the phone, then drive over there to collect the medication and administer it myself, even though I dread having to do pig injections of any kind as pigs hate them so much.   Tamsaddle

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »
we callled th evet out on sunday to put an elderly sheep to sleep as itd given up. no treatment just a jag.  it cost £120 - ouch

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
Our vets costs are more than Pete's.  Always find it extraordinary that they charge separately for the "visit" and the "examination", considering they cannot do an examination without visiting.   
Errr... if you took the animal to the surgery, then they could examine without visiting.  Farmers often take a sick animal to the surgery in the livestock trailer for exactly this reason.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:42:59 pm »
It looks as though I got off lightly then  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »
I think you paid pretty much the going rate for where you are. ;D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »
princesspiggy, it seems you need to find a local chap who can come and do the deed for you. The hunt kennels can be very accomodating.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »
I am most surprised to learn you can take sick pigs to the vet - does one need to do any sort of eaml2 if you do that?  When they come home again are they then subject to a 21 day standstill?

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
princesspiggy, it seems you need to find a local chap who can come and do the deed for you. The hunt kennels can be very accomodating.

our knackerman wont come on a sunday.
are there hunt kennels in scotland? our nearest  draghunt was 3 hrs drive.
maybe i should have had him shot but i didnt think it would have been that expensive. was v expensive i thought.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:55:52 pm »
I am most surprised to learn you can take sick pigs to the vet - does one need to do any sort of eaml2 if you do that?  When they come home again are they then subject to a 21 day standstill?

Visits to the vet are an emergency and as such excempt from movement regulations. Also excludes standstill period, and you don't have a standstill after it either. And if too young your animal doesn't even have to be tagged. (Unless you do a bloodtest like CAE, where they need to check the eartag number to make sure it is the right one on the sample).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »

You can take any animal to the vet without needing paperwork or standstills, I think.  The vets make sure there's no possibility of cross-contamination their end.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »
you can also take them for a "ride out" as i found out when i asked the AH if i could take lambs/piglets to school. aslong as they dont leave the trailer there is no movement as such, an no standstill on return. and i didnt need a movement license with me, "just make a note at home".
that was from a fone call, but id rather have that in writing cos im sure theyd disappear like snaffled eggs if need be...

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »
they are part right prior to e aml you wrote a paper movement out carried that with you  (if stopped ) then when back with no incident the movement was destroyed     we have been doing this for for the last 5 years  with there blessing       it was a struggle to get them on board  (AH) but it can be done :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:00 pm »

our knackerman wont come on a sunday.
are there hunt kennels in scotland? our nearest  draghunt was 3 hrs drive.
maybe i should have had him shot but i didnt think it would have been that expensive. was v expensive i thought.
There's a hunt kennels in Houston Julia - they'll take cattle & sheep, but not pigs.  But I guess that's a bit far for you?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS