Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2669 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Hello
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:18 pm »
Hello, I'm Sylvia from South Devon. I have four acres of my own and the use of three acres from a friend. I have, at present,six fattening lambs, three Berkshire pigs for porkers and various poultry.
I have so much grass, much more than the lambs can eat and am wondering if I could manage a couple of Dexter (or similar) steers on it. I would hate to get them then realise I haven't enough grass for them.
There is a lot of long grass that the sheep ignore and I don't want to keep paying someone to top it for me.
What do you think?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:06 pm »
Hi Sylvia, and welcome from North Devon.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Dexters, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

Julie
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:15 pm »
Hi and welcome - we haven't had any new members for ages!

Don't know the answer to your question, but I'm thinking about getting a couple of dairy bull calves in the spring, bucket rearing them and killing them off grass in the autumn as, well, grass fed veal / baby beef, I suppose. Haven't thought it all through yet (or discussed it with OH) but the calves are "waste" products from the dairy industry and it migt be worth kicking around. The carcase won't be great in terms of conformation but I'm sure it will taste OK.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:31 am »
Hi and welcome.  I think anyone who can cope with cows is heroic.

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:35:52 am »
Hi. I have 6 dexters which we run on 3 acres of our own and three acres of loaned land. I can't speak too highly of the Dexters. They are tough cattle able to brave the worst of weather here on the coast in Dorset. The beef is just superb and lots of it - we pay for the grazing in beef aswell. We feed them 2+ bales of hay per day in winter. Also a little of our land is given over to poultry and 2 sometimes 3 pigs so they don't quite have the entire plot. I think you could cope with 2 steers.
Good luck !

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:46:15 am »
Hello and Welcome from all at Tullywood Farm.

We don't keep cows but if we did it would be Dexters or Highland - we have talked about getting one, but I know Joe cannot stop at one of anything, so holding back.

To get rid of the long grass we have some goats, ordinary and pygmy goats, which will eat the long grass if they cannot get to trees and hedges.

The other thing you could do is have it topped or strimmed and use it as bedding for the pigs and hens in the winter.

If you do get Dexters pleeessee show us some pics and let us know how you get on ;D

Julie, Joe and Tara

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:39:24 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I am also looking at Shetland Cattle.

sandy

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:44:06 pm »
Hello, welcome to the forum, enjoy!!!! I'm sure you will

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 08:07:31 pm »
We're going to visit a breede of Shetland cattle on 20th September - they woudl be my preferred option. Her website is www.westmossside.com.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 11:53:41 am »
Hello!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS