Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best field names  (Read 7479 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Best field names
« on: January 03, 2023, 01:23:13 pm »
I have had an inordinate amount of fun over the years naming fields.  Of which my favourite will I think always be Sink Pits Bottom.

Although The Combe of the Wailing Swale runs it a close second.

The creative juices didn't always flow, on that same farm we also had North Meadow and Far Meadow...

What are your favourite field names? 

And do you have any you'd like some help to (re)name?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Best field names
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 05:43:17 pm »
One of our fields has Mrs Womble's old Volkswagen rusting in the far corner.

Despite being a wreck, "Clive" is of immense sentimental value, having been the first car she ever bought (from new, no less), and the only man in her life who has never let her down.

That's right - it's officially the Polo Field  ;D .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 02:52:12 pm »
Tom's top field,  Tom's middle field and Tom's bottom  ...... may not be inspiring but were purchased with money from  my elderly dad (ex farmer)   Tom.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 03:53:44 pm »
One of our fields has Mrs Womble's old Volkswagen rusting in the far corner.

I'm surprised at you having a rusting car on the property  :eyelashes: :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 04:24:51 pm »
Yeah, we actually have more rusting cars than we have fields  ::) .  (I thought that was mandatory. It is, right?)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 06:19:10 pm »
Yeah, we actually have more rusting cars than we have fields  ::) .  (I thought that was mandatory. It is, right?)
Nope. That would kill me. :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 06:56:41 pm »
Ooops.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 09:00:08 pm »

Are rusting bikes (as in bicycles) any better? But we do have our old car on the farm too... And yes, it is mandatory, even if only to annoy the (ex-townie) neighbours...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 01:52:03 am »
The farm where I grew up had 'Down Dirty Dick' which was over the road and along a bit then down a long lane.
Here we have 'The Back Passage' which is a short lane we made to access various buildings.  Another newly created area is 'Soggy Bottom' because it is.  Otherwise we just have 'The Spring Field', 'The Far Field', 'The Far Far Field' which, if we can get some flowers to grow, will become 'The Flower meadow'. We also have 'the Old hay Field' and 'the New Hay Field', plus 'The Home Field'. There is also 'The Spinney', The Coppice and The Wildlife Strip'.

The ones I'd love help with are 'Over the Road' and 'The Top Bit Over The Road', plus 'The New Tree bit Over the Road'.  We tried names like 'The New Millennium Plantation', 'Beech Walk' etc but nothing has stuck.  I think my creative juices started running dry many years ago and have now gone all together  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 02:45:09 pm »
Nope. That would kill me. :)
That would drive me mad.  Left over bits of fence posts or sarking are ok because they will eventually disintegrate or be used as firewood, but anything plastic or metal has to be properly disposed of. I'd be worried about a dog banging into it and getting ripped or rust poisoned  >:( >:( >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 06:58:30 pm »
A field on a farm near me is called Maes yGwaed which translates as Field of Blood !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 09:04:10 pm »
Are rusting bikes (as in bicycles) any better? But we do have our old car on the farm too... And yes, it is mandatory, even if only to annoy the (ex-townie) neighbours...
Interesting. I do love a "them and us". ::)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 08:37:41 am »
Nothing exciting here I'm afraid, just East, West and North pastures. The South is the front garden.

There are an awful lot of rusting vehicles in gardens and fields here- some have several in them. presumably collected over several generations. My concern is the possibility of contaminating water courses with anti-freeze, brake fluid and oil.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 08:43:03 am »

The ones I'd love help with are 'Over the Road' and 'The Top Bit Over The Road', plus 'The New Tree bit Over the Road'.  We tried names like 'The New Millennium Plantation', 'Beech Walk' etc but nothing has stuck.  I think my creative juices started running dry many years ago and have now gone all together  ::)

I'm trying to find a pun or puns involving Roost...  as in why did the chicken cross the road / rooster / birds roosting in the (new) trees... [member=2128]Womble[/member] you're usually a punster...

Other things that cross roads or are over the road or similar ... X  zebra  bridge  kerb 

Any other features or uses (past or present) that could help find fun and memorable names? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 11:15:29 am »

Any other features or uses (past or present) that could help find fun and memorable names? 

Ex-BH had no end of fields named after people who"d rented them in the past.  Burns' Field, Dobson's Field, Perry's Meadow.  I never knew Burns or Dobson, and Ms Perry had married, becoming Mrs Morris...  lol.  He also continued to refer to the front room in the house as the New Room, by then had been converted over 20 years earlier...   Oh, and the Tank Field was so-called as the army stored a tank there during the war! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS