Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: piglet pickies at last  (Read 2891 times)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
piglet pickies at last
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:26:57 am »
My other Kune, Hattie, had her three piglets on Christmas day and now the two mum are happily sharing all the piglets. I am amazed that HappyHippy's Poppy had 15! That is amazing! (even though sadly four didn't survive) Why would it have been better if they had been born after Jan 1st?
Thank you to The great composto and Sally for helping me to reduce size of photos.
Here's to a happy, healthy, drier and sunnier 2013!
Fu
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: piglet pickies at last
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:30:06 am »
Lovely pictures and fancy the two mums sharing the piglets  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:08 pm »
Oooooooooooh bless  :love: :love: :love: You've got a brill range of colours there, soooooo gorgeous  :excited: :excited: :thumbsup:

I'll answer your question and in return, bombard you with a few  ;) :D

1st of January and 1st of July are cut off dates for pedigree pigs for showing (not that it would have mattered in Poppy's case as it's a cross bred litter which isn't eligable for registration anyway)
The theory being that the bigger they are the better they do in the show ring (assuming all other breed standards are met)
Poppy is an Oxford Sandy and Black pig and this is her third litter (she's at maximum 'production' in terms of litter size I think) Her first litter was 8 also to a Kunekune boar and her second to an OSB boar was also 8 (though I think we are to blame for moving her back home from the boar too soon) The fact that it's a crossbreed litter might account for higher numbers ? Hybrid vigour and all that maybe ???

It's unusual for Kunekunes to have such big litters being that they're smaller pigs (though Adelaide, my wee super-Kune had 15 last time too with a pure bred litter  :o ;D) and usually first litters are much lower. My Kunekune boar has fathered 6 pure bred litters to gilts this year and they have all been 8 piglets, so that's quite high too I think compared to most - looking forward to seeing how Adelaide does with her litter to him (due end of January  :excited:) But to be honest I'd rather they all gave birth to lower numbers and didn't lose any  :'(

So anyway, now I've bored you to tears Susannah  :innocent: Can I ask you some questions please ?
Are these your pigs first litters ?
What age/weight are the mum's ?
What bloodlines are they and the boar ?
Sorry, I'm super nosey  ::) :-[ But I'm trying to build a picture of Kunekune litters UK wide, to see if there's any link or pattern between bloodlines, location, age, diet etc
Thanks  :-*

And congratulations on your piglets, will be expecting lots more pictures now you know how to do it  ;) :excited: :excited:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »
 :love: what a lovely little family unit you have. And a pretty rainbow of colours in the piglets . They all look so content. I'll be watching for more piccies too, as the littlevones grow  ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »
Such pretty piglings  :love:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »
Lovely photos  :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »
Lovely babies  :thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:27:09 pm »
sweet dears :) :) :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »
Oooooooooooh bless  :love: :love: :love: You've got a brill range of colours there, soooooo gorgeous  :excited: :excited: :thumbsup:

I'll answer your question and in return, bombard you with a few  ;) :D

1st of January and 1st of July are cut off dates for pedigree pigs for showing (not that it would have mattered in Poppy's case as it's a cross bred litter which isn't eligable for registration anyway)
The theory being that the bigger they are the better they do in the show ring (assuming all other breed standards are met)
They aren't "cut-off dates". This is a bit confusing. What HH means is that there are show classes for piglets born on or after January 1 and July 1. Most of the time, piglets born closer to those dates are bigger than those born later in the month(s), so tend to look a bit better - but I've had February-born pigs and September-born pigs which have beaten their much younger rivals.
Of course, as HH says, all this is academic, as your litter is cross-bred, but I thought you might like an explanation! Enjoy your piglets x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 04:15:26 pm »
Thanks Liz, I hoped I'd explained it clearly but was in a rush :innocent: :roflanim:

Susannah's piglets are pure bred Kunekunes though - it's my litter that's the non-show worthy (but ever so tasty) KK and OSB cross  ;)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:40:13 pm »
Really beautiful little piglets there and so sweet for the Mums to be sharing.  Thanks for asking about the Jan thing, I was going to ask too. 

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:01:16 pm »
Ah, that's my poor speed-reading for you! Sorry, Susannah - mixed up your post with HH's and thought Poppy was your sow! Anyway, hope my note explained the dates issue sufficiently well. If it didn't, do let me know.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS