Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweetcorn in scotland  (Read 6158 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Sweetcorn in scotland
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:20:29 pm »
Anyone trying it?

I started off some indoors a couple of months back and it sprung up ever so nicely. though i mistakenly gave it away to my folks who i'm trying to encourage to grow things for themselves

so, i started some more off in the greenhouse - and it done NOTHING!!!

So, i've started again indoors last week - and already they are up and looking fine. I'll eave them indoors for a few more weeks to get established, then into the greenhouse for a few more weeks - then - fingers crossed - they'll go into the raised bed i have for them

I'm only growing them for the odd BBQ and as a trial run for when i have chickens. hopefully they'll work out fine.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Sweetcorn in scotland
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30:46 pm »
I have grown them in my old house up here, but it was very sheltered it was doing great guns but the kids from next door must have it it with a football or something as it was in half. Not tried it here as havn't really got the space

Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:25:18 pm »
We've grown sweetcorn for the last four or five years, ususally about 24 plants or so. We start them in the greenhouse - this year I've used the insides of toilet rolls. The plats are now about 6" high and will be going out this weekend, all things being equal. We've had mixed results depending, I think, on the weather. Last year we had a good number of cobs but they didn't ripen well - but the chooks loved them and they are very convenient to hang up for them!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:30:07 pm »
After reading this topic this morning My friend Marilyn next door was round and she offered me a couple of sweetcorn plants - I've never tried it so it will be interesting.  I might keep them in the conservatory as she says my tomatoes are further on than those in her greenhouse.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:46 pm »
I have also had good results with sweetcorn similar to Rosemary. Still in the greenhouse two seeds to a loo roll holder will discard the smaller of the two when planting out. Will wait until they are about 6 inches high. I plant in a block of 10 with tall canes put in at time of planting out.
JD

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:43 pm »
fantastic then

i'll leave it in the greenhouse until we are safely into June and hopefully the last of the cold spells and torrential rain has eased!!

i've got about 12 plants to put out, so should make a nice block.

hot house heroes

• Joined Jan 2009
  • prestwick
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:55:12 am »
ive had good success with sweetcorn over here in prestwick im going to try the smaller version any tips/ideas regarding there up bringing is there enough room in the greenhouse height wise ??????
its not a palace but its our palace

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 09:08:43 pm »
we have grwon sweetcorn for years (just north of dundee) the trick is to grow them in a block/ clump/group/ or if your'e also into sheep.... a tight flock!!
This allows them to pollinate each other and each plant acts as a wind break for the next
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS