Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Inconsistent laying fom Hens.  (Read 2930 times)

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Inconsistent laying fom Hens.
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:13 pm »
I currently have a mixed flock of 11 birds including a RIR cockerel, the other birds are blackrocks, welsummers and RIR, I have a RIR hen that is around 30 weeks old and was laying everyday, whereas my other RIR is around 2 and has not laid for several weeks, the Welsummers are around 30 weeks but have only laid once last week (first eggs they laid). I have 2 second lay blackrocks of which 1 lays almost every day but the olther is inconsitent and my last 4 are 19 week old blackrocks 1 of which started to lay on Sunday and has so far laid every day.
I have been keeping hens for about 6 months and have a pen around 10mtrs * 16mtrs where ther birds have good access to grass and dock leaves, I feed growers pellets, mixed corn regularly and lettuce once or twice a week, the 18 week Rocks are still on growers. I will be giving them all some strawberries tomorrow.
I mix in acv with their water for a week once a month and occasionally mix in probiotic yoghurt with their pellets, I have noticed a few lice and some red mites on the birds and in 1 coop recently and am treating this with powder in the bedding and sawdust I also have dusting powder that I have not yet put on the birds due to the weather being so bad.

Any tips on increasing the egg laying would be great as I am averaging only around 2 eggs a day, whereas a few weeks ago I was getting 4 or 5 a day. I can't seem to work out why they lay for a few days then stop?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Inconsistent laying fom Hens.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:21 pm »
thing get upskittled when the weather is bad, out of 6 i get about 2/3 a day, and all but two of my girls are under a year, i suppose we are just going to have to get used to fewer eggs for a while.

i don't think it will be anything you have done

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:08:59 am »
My Black Rocks were nearer to 24 weeks before we got anything back from them & even now that they're 8 months old don't lay that well compared with my Calders.

Dust your birds down anyway, just make sure its worked well into the feathers & it should be ok. I tend to do my lot as near to dusk as i can manage, that way they get a good dusting down then put inside for the night.

At 18 weeks, i'd be starting to mix layers pellets in with the growers, with view to having them on layers by the end of the open bag of feed.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:39:29 am »
Mine aren't laying well - most are moulting.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:16 am »
upskittled

Brilliant word! And you're quite correct - they're probably wondering where the summer has gone as much as we are!

Could be the lice / mites - if they are in the nest box the hens will stay away.  Get some chinchilla sand or similar and put it in a tray similar size to a cat litter tray, mix in some louse powder and let the birds do it themselves - much more thorough!

Are they moulting? Bit of poultry spice with their pellets helps.

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:04:55 pm »
i would suggest that they are mouting, mine have just finished now and i am back to getting 4/5 eggs a day as opposed to just 1 on some days in the last month, i gave mine some stuff which seemed to help may be worth a try http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/net-tex-mineral-powder-with-pro-biotics as you will see it contains oyster shell, seaweed, limestone and spice so all natural stuff and like i said it seems to work, just 1 teaspon for up to 15 hens so will last for years and at that price who can complain?? good luck hope thing pick up soon!!

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:50:09 pm »
Agree it might be the weather!

I have 10 chooks ( 7 hens & 3 boys for the freezer, although one of them is going into our 'bird inside a bird' for xmas..not looking forward to dispatching turkeys tho...kids eh?! sorry off topic there! ) and I use Naf life-guard in their water. Bit pricey but lasts a while. Its a brilliant product though imo and really gives the chooks a boost after molting. I use gold label louse powder everytime I clean them out...all over the bedding , house and them! It all natural too and you can get it from most agri merchants. I feed them garlic granules now and again and haven't had a problem with worms.

Just giving you an insight....hope it helps but don't worry, sure your chooks will be fine :)

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:22 pm »
Thank you all very much for your help and tips, looks like I need to get some vitamins. Please keep the advice coming.

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »
My ex bat hens are laying good style.  I am getting 8 -9 eggs per day from 10 hens.  They have all grown their feathers in.  I am delighted with them
Cheers Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS