Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Cheese press?  (Read 2527 times)

Mel

Which Cheese press?
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:26:22 pm »
Hi all  :thumbsup:

I would like to have a go at making my own cheddar,I can buy fresh local milk if need be,any advice most welcome,I would like to do this properly so need a cheese press,I have seen various on the web but what are your suggestions please?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Which Cheese press?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
I've got the wooden 'lever' type that you hang weights on (or bottles with varying amounts of water in). I find it easy it use and to adjust the pressure, though it couldn't be said to be amazingly scientific.

Mel

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:33 pm »
They look simple enough to make at home  :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:17:54 pm »
I'm sure they would be, if you were at all handy

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:50:37 pm »
you can make a simple one with 4 long coach bolts 4 wing nuts and 2 bread boards with 4 holes drilled in each will try find the instructions and post a link  ;D
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »
we made one of a large chopping board (or two small ones) cut in half and drilled a 1 inch hole in each corner of one piece. Drilled an indentation in each corner of the other one and screwed a curtain pole cut into 4 pieces through from the bottom...the board with holes in the corners sits over the poles and hey presto...you have a press

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS