Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Well hello!  (Read 4356 times)

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
Well hello!
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »
Sorry for being offline for a while - we've been busy moving house and now instead of living just outside Liverpool, we're living on the West coast of Scotland instead! We're renting for a year or so but are now looking around for somewhere of our own, hopefully with some land. New job going really really well and loving every minute of it.  ;D
How's everyone been?

Dan.

HappyHippy

Re: Well hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:47:31 pm »
Och, it's same old, same old   ::)
But WOW - big change for you ! How are you adapting to life up here in the frozen North ?  ;D And where abouts are you (west coast is a fairly broad ranging area  :D)
Too far away for regular meet up's at Lanark market ?
There's a pig & poultry sale on tomorrow  ;) ;D
Good to have you back Dan
Karen  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:30:20 am »
Hi stranger, well us oldies are still around as too old for going out clubbing at night so sit on tinternet, much less trouble!!

Brilliant move for you, how exciting to be having a new life style, renting is a good idea, that gives you the edge on people who have property to sell. Hope the winter ahead is not as bad as the last 2, we all suffered I think!!!!

Off to bed now as its very very late and due to my late wake up i am not sleepy!! Nite

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:03 am »
Welcome back! Big change - where on the West Coast are you? It's quite long  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:41 am »
welcome back!
Little Blue

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:53:17 pm »
We're in Benderloch, just north of Oban. An absolute massive change of lifestyle, pace of life, and the way in which we choose to be more sustainable. I think the pace of life thing is being helped by the new job - it's not 3 shift in a factory for a start! I get to travel around the countryside, and as I arrange my own work can schedule when I need to be in places, and when I need to be at home.
It's absolute bliss, and was well worth the 7 years spent planning and saving to make it happen!  ;D

Dan.

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 04:22:13 pm »
Good for you!

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »
dont know you mate but yours sounds like a great story, well done you
kn
ps i hate my job lol

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:14 pm »
ps i hate my job lol

Well change it then! My story sounds very simplistic, but it took 7 years of planning, and saving up. Cost me a relationship, a divorce, followed by more saving up but I'm here now and loving every minute of it.
The absolute best thing my parents taught me was whether you think you can, or you can't, you're absolutely right!  ;)
If you want to change things, then change them!

Dan.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »
Welcome back Dan,

and welcome to Scotland.  I'm sure you won't regret it.  Do tell us more about your new life.

John

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:52:02 pm »
Hi John,
Do you have a Fergie? Have not long finished restoring a Fergie with my dad, a TED - petrol / TVO. What would you like to know about my new life? We live in a rented house for now, with our two new kittens whilst we're searching for a croft to call home! We have found somewhere we quite like that is empty, and are making enquiries about it so fingers crossed that that works out.
I've left a job doing 3 shift working in a factory in Liverpool where I've worked for 21 years, and started working for an insurance company doing engineering inspections. The area I cover stretches from Fort William down to Helensburgh, and around down to Campeltown, and all the coast back up to Fort William. I cover the Island of Mull, Jura, Islay, Coll and Tiree, and also the southern Outer Hebrides, so North Uist, South Uist, Barra and Eriskay.
My girlfriend / partner ( whatever is the politically correct term at the moment ) has left her job after 17 years, and found out yesterday that she's got a job as a tour guide at Oban distillery - so although we're not making as much money as we did before - we both get to sleep in our own bed most nights, and the house we're in has quite large vegetable beds so we're working out quite what we can plant that will be ready before we have to move out next June ( ish! ).
Thank you for the welcome to Scotland - I'm sure we won't regret it too!  ;) ;D

Dan.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:42 pm »
Hi John,
Do you have a Fergie? Have not long finished restoring a Fergie with my dad, a TED - petrol / TVO.

The area I cover stretches from Fort William down to Helensburgh, and around down to Campeltown, and all the coast back up to Fort William. I cover the Island of Mull, Jura, Islay, Coll and Tiree, and also the southern Outer Hebrides, so North Uist, South Uist, Barra and Eriskay.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

yes, I have a Fergie - a TEF diesel, which has just started leaking oil from its head gasket so I foresee a rebuild coming up.  I'm in North Lanarkshire, on a holding of almost 20 acres, with a few Hebridean & Soay sheep and chickens.  We're a long way from being self sufficient, but getting closer to it, and am recently retired.  Like you, my previous job included travelling all around Scotland, something I enjoyed greatly.

Your new job covers a huge area, of beautiful countryside, but the advantage will be that you'll soon get to know the area very well indeed and hear of housing / crofting opportunities. 

Good Luck,

John

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »
welcome, Dan!  :wave: :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS