Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Complete newbie thinking of meat for freezer  (Read 4809 times)

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
Complete newbie thinking of meat for freezer
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »
I have recently moved to a larger property (in South Wales) with a 3 to 4 acre paddock.   I intend on using the paddock for horses but am considering having sheep for my own consumption - sharing paddock with horses.  Looking through the forums it seems as if horses and sheep can live together quite happily.

Is this feasible?   Also, could I keep just 3 or 4 sheep on this land for fattening/slaughter.  Any advice/opinions greatly accepted....

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Complete newbie thinking of meat for freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:13:57 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk. :wave:

My sheep share with the horses no problem,although we have split our land in to 5 paddocks so that we can rotate and seperate when needed.

waterhouse

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »
Yes and yes, depending on the horses.  You might want to fence so you have an area into which the only the sheep can go to escape a feisty horse having a hooley.

I'd split into several paddocks so you can rotate the grazing, particularly if the grass is too good and the horses are getting tubby.  We let the horses follow the sheep around when the grass is lush but reverse it when the grass is poor.

Have fun.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »
Depends on the horse. I've seen posts where folks have said they live fine together, and also many where the poor sheep have suffered from horses kicking out.

If you do decide to keep them in the same field/paddock, never feed your horses or sheep when they are together - this is usually the cause of many problems.

I wouldn't keep mine together. Not worth the risk.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

I keep sheep with my ponies. Smokey will nip at the lambs if they come near his feed but other than that it's live and let live. However, I try not to feed them together and the sheep have a fenced off "safe" area. I had sheep in with another horse (not mine and a bit bonkers) and he chased the sheep, so I never had either pregnant ewes or ewes and young lambs in the field with him.

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:28:11 pm »
Many thanks for the advice - it seems sharing is OK as long as the sheep have a 'safe' horse-proof area where they will be fed.

What breed would you consider and at what age?    Obviously the cost of a lamb can vary due to breed/age, but what typical costs should I expect?

trev iow

• Joined Oct 2010
  • isle of wight
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »
as one who has done this,and got the scars to prove it,i may be able to give you an insight as to what your letting yourself in for!firstly,it is commonly agreed that a sheep's ambition in life is to die!failing that ,make sure the shepherd dies!they can be,and often are ,the most frustrating and stupid of all livestock,which just proves god has a sense of humour!but if your determined to have a go then you need to consider which breed.what you want is something ,docile and easy to handle,as it's for your own consumption and not for sale,quality is more important.i had southdowns and throughly reccommend them for this type of farming.the carcase is small but the ratio of meat to bone is far greater than other breeds,the quality of the meat is ,in my opinion unsurpassed.they are docile,easier to handle than most breeds and dont require that much food.i strongly suggest you resarch this breed.as to having the meat for the freezer,we used to have ours killed on site by a licenced slaughterman in the same shed they were born in,they never travelled off the 11/2 acres we had so there were no transport costs and no stress to the animals.after slaughter they were hung in a shed with a couple of desk fans blowing on them overnight then taken to our local butcher who used to put them in his cold room for a week then joint them for us.the economics of all this depend on what criteria you apply.if you base it on what you would get at market for finished lambs there is nothing to be made out of it but if you base it on what the seperate joints would cost in a butchers then you will find they are worth about £200 each.on the face of it that would seem worthwhile but the danger is that because you have a freezer full of legs,shoulders and chops you tend to dive in to them far more often than you would buy lamb from the shops.having said all this ,there is no greater pleasure in seeing a new born lamb finding the teat for the first,even at 3am!.i could write pages and pages about this but i dont want to be up till 3 am these days,besides i dont want to spoil the fun? for you.hope this helps a bit trev iow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »
really only ok if the sheep can run faster than your horses. don't keep lambs with horses or ponies. our shetlands love to chase lambs. they killed well fracture a lambs leg the first year we bred them. not making that mistake again.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:15 pm »
Hi all,

Quoted from Trev IOW
 Quote: We used to have ours killed on site by a licenced slaughterman How do I find one local to me; in the same shed they were born in,they never travelled off the 11/2 acres we had so there were no transport costs and no stress to the animals.after slaughter they were hung in a shed with a couple of desk fans blowing on them overnight then taken to our local butcher I've had very negative replies when I inquired of my local butcher about this ;  who used to put them in his cold room for a week then joint them for us.
How do other on this forum get their lambs sorted.
You are never to old to learn something new

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 09:22:59 pm »
Hi and welcome from kent.

Id say look forward to turning on your oven next Oct/November, the results can be amazing......

cheers

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 11:45:53 pm »
<<,it is commonly agreed that a sheep's ambition in life is to die!failing that ,make sure the shepherd dies!they can be,and often are ,the most frustrating and stupid of all livestock,which just proves god has a sense of humour!>>

Sorry Trev but that's a load of rubbish used to explain away bad shepherding.  Sheep are not stupid. Their behaviour is appropriate to their natural situation as grazers.  They are prey animals and we are their predators, so we each display different behaviour.  A good shepherd will take the time to understand the way his sheep behave and work with it.  If he works against it, then he is the stupid one and doomed to fail.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:18 am »
Hi all,

Quoted from Trev IOW
 Quote: We used to have ours killed on site by a licenced slaughterman How do I find one local to me; in the same shed they were born in,they never travelled off the 11/2 acres we had so there were no transport costs and no stress to the animals.after slaughter they were hung in a shed with a couple of desk fans blowing on them overnight then taken to our local butcher I've had very negative replies when I inquired of my local butcher about this ;  who used to put them in his cold room for a week then joint them for us.
How do other on this forum get their lambs sorted.
home kill mm maybe best not to talkabout on an open forum. if you do kill on farm then only the person that killed it can eat it(well im sure thats what defra say anyway). no butcher is going to risk there living by cutting an animal not approved by the animal inspectors. what you do is up to you. but learning to cut lambs is not to hard.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:56 pm »
Home kill is perfect for your situation. Ask around at the merchants, market and neighbours. Someone will know someone who can do it. And do it well. The problem we have in this country is that we conform too much. It is best for the animal and suits your needs. The slaughter man will inspect just as much as the meat inspector will do.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »
<<,it is commonly agreed that a sheep's ambition in life is to die!failing that ,make sure the shepherd dies!they can be,and often are ,the most frustrating and stupid of all livestock,which just proves god has a sense of humour!>>

Sorry Trev but that's a load of rubbish used to explain away bad shepherding.  Sheep are not stupid. Their behaviour is appropriate to their natural situation as grazers.  They are prey animals and we are their predators, so we each display different behaviour.  A good shepherd will take the time to understand the way his sheep behave and work with it.  If he works against it, then he is the stupid one and doomed to fail.
/quote]

Well said! Sheep do not want to die ad are not stupid.....its usually those who look after them...or neglect to that are the problem!
Craig...some nice easy bought in ewes with a few lambs at foot over the summer will keep the grass tidy and provide meat for the freezer, then you sell the ewes in the autumn.....and do it again the following year!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:30:04 pm by thewoollyshepherd »
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS