Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The hunt is out this morning  (Read 4107 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
The hunt is out this morning
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:53:16 am »
Spoke to the huntsmaster early this morning and he said the local farm has been loosing lambs. 
I walked the dog up the lane and found a lamb leg, completely stripped with just the foot in tact  :(
We were going to put our little lamb out today but have decided against it.
The hounds have been circling in the fields all around us (my dog won't stop barking at them)

Good news is that one of the farmers came to look at the lamb for us. I was just making up a bottle as I wasn't sure it was getting enough from mum, he checked and said it had a full stomach. He tried to give it the bottle but it didn't want it. He also turned mum over and checked both teats and made sure she had plenty of milk.
It has been a real boost to have someone who knows what they are doing take a look. I feel much better about it all now and waiting expectantly for the next one.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:20:03 am by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: The hunt is out this morning
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:59:49 am »
 :thumbsup: great to have some expert on hand to re assure what you are doing is spot on, hope they catch the culprit who had that lamb dinner!!! It must be such a worry what with weather and preditors and then sickness.....I spoke to a friend who has tracked Pumas here, he says they come and go depending on the time of year, they keep a low profile but he said they are about and had escaped from local animal parks!! You never know??

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:30 am »
I'd keep her in too.  Cant be too careful when you only have a small flock.
friend who has tracked Pumas here
Blimey - where are you?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:16:30 am »
Central Scotland, the Puma supposed  :innocent:  to be in Devilla Forest Fife but not all the time, there is a Safari Park not too far away and they suspect thats where they came from, they have found evidence and tracks, the person I know inspects the forset all the time, at the moment they are on holiday  :innocent: The pumas, 2 of them, not the person
Just google it and you can read, this person is in Devilla all the time, well nearly all the time as is a local Farmer who has seen the http://www.paranormalmagazine.co.uk/2010/01/18/big-cat-hunters-head-to-devilla-forest/wild cat

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:20:07 am by happygolucky »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:20 am »
Glad he's doing okay.  :thumbsup:

We were exactly the same last year with our first lamb. Waited until it was getting on for dark and knowing that it was going to be a very cold night called our neighbour to say that we were worried in case lambie hadn't taken a proper first drink. Sounds silly I know but he was only under mum for a couple of seconds and didn't seem long enough for him to take much .... couldn't make out if he was even latched on and she wasn't keen on us poking about. My neighbour is just brill and was straight down with his wife to take a look. He felt lambs tum, stuck a finger in his mouth, checked mum's teats and said he was smashing. Okay we felt a bit daft but slept better for checking.  ::) ;D  His wife has a better eye than him apparently and went on to guess which of our ewes would have twins ..... correctly.  ;D So glad we have them as friends. You can read all you like but that practical know- how can't be beaten.

Can smell fox all along our lane which is unusual ..... something else for us to worry about when ours arrive.  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »

I walked the dog up the lane and found a lamb leg, completely stripped with just the foot in tact  :(

If you mean the skin stripped off, then that sounds like badger.  If just the bones left, then could be fox.

A single lamb with mum should be ok, mum can chase a fox away.  It's when she has twins it's harder for her to protect two.  But if you've safe accommodation, by all means keep them in.

BH always reckons a newborn needs to be latched on and sucking for 60 seconds to get enough colostrum.

To check if a lamb has had enough, hold it up on its hind legs and look at its belly.  Plump and round is what you are looking for.  Concave is not good.

Check its ears and inside its mouth - should be warm.

Wake it up and make it stand - it should stand and stretch.  If mum won't let it suck while you are there it doesn't mean she isn't suckling it when you aren't looking. ;)

Great to have an expert give you the :thumbsup: while you're learning, though.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:32:12 pm »
Sally, it was bare right down to the bones so its definitely a fox. The huntmaster said the whole area smells very strongly of fox and the hounds were going mad.
The farmer held the lamb up, he checked the belly and then got me to do the same, telling me what to feel for.
It has warm ears but I haven't checked inside the mouth. I will do that. I will wake it up too (if its asleep) might even take more pictures  :excited:
Thanks for the advice

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »
How do you smell a fox, our neighbour can do it but what does it smell like?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:30 pm »
Don't ask me I just rely on the hunt  ;D

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:04 pm »
Foxes stink, and when they mark their territory you know about it for sure. Its a very musky smell a bit like a ferret only 30times worse. Once you have smelled a fox you will know for sure if you smell another.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:52 pm »
Cosmo, it's a really musty smell and it lingers. It's very distinctive so if you smell it once you'll recognise it again.  :wave: 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 02:37:46 pm »
Cosmo, it's a really musty smell and it lingers. It's very distinctive so if you smell it once you'll recognise it again.  :wave:

Especially if you dog has rolled in fox poo  :'(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »
How do you smell a fox, our neighbour can do it but what does it smell like?

Once smelled - never forgotten! It stinks!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:12 pm »
Hmm, I'm interested, our dog smells of things regularly which I can usually identify as being either chicken poo or duck poo, both smelly but quite different smells.  When you say 'musty' I'm thinking like musty hay only stronger or old clothes, more description please.....it's always useful to know, many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 03:35:49 pm »
like a dirty cat litter tray (ammonia) only slightly muskier if that makes sense

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS