Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newbie in kent  (Read 3135 times)

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
newbie in kent
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:11 am »
Hi my names Claire and along with my boyfriend Neil we have fallen headlong into the world of poultry keeping and more recently lambs too. We decided last summer that it would be nice to have a couple of chickens to provide eggs for his mums b&b and got ourselves 4 chickens. Now losing count of the chickens and ducks. We got 2 lambs last week and may be gettin more during this week and are picking up some gooslings today. We also have 8 goose eggs in the incubator due to hatch in the next few days.

Hope to get to know people on here soon.

Claire

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: newbie in kent
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:48 am »
hiya welcome to the group

linz

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:36:22 am »
Morning Claire and welcome. I think we all start off small and before we know it we are addicted and we have lots of animals! I can't help with your sneezing lamb I'm afraid but I hope it is nothing serious. I have 17ducks, 2 geese, 11 goats,4 ponies,3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 3 goldfish and a parrot. 3 years ago I had 2 dogs and 2 rabbits, addictive as I said. They are great fun though and I wouldn't be without any of them. I had 12 ducklings hatch almost 2 weeks ago from the incubator but they will be going to their new home next week. I have another 12 duck eggs in just now and am hoping to keep a couple of Aylesburys this time and I still would love some Indian Runners. If you hatch goose eggs and raise them are they tame? My 2 would never harm anyone but that doesn't stop them hissing at you!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:03 pm »
Hi Claire welcome. You are right about birds  becoming addictive.  I bought a brahma at a bird show January last year.  Now have 10 plus other assorted hens, late last year we bought a couple of khaki campbells, now up to 29 and counting ....  actually losing count as each time I turn around there is another one or two or three ..  Life its wonderful

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:17 pm »
Hi Claire and welcome to TAS.

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:51:19 pm »
Hi Clare, I'm new to this too, joined today. We have 3 ducks and am getting worried as they have stopped sitting on their eggs, they due to hatch this weekend, but they feel cold to touch so I thought I'd join here and see if people can help me! I also run a B&B.Looking forward to getting to know people on here too. Nikki

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:52:22 pm »
Sounds like the chicks have died and the ducks know it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »
do you think I should wait until after the weekend and then - what do I do with them? can I bag and put in a bin?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:29 pm »
Yes, see my other post re checking, dispose by putting in compost heap or ordinary bin.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nikki

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »
Thanks Annie, will do

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS