Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mortgage help!!  (Read 4949 times)

MINIEGG

• Joined Apr 2023
Mortgage help!!
« on: April 04, 2023, 10:37:25 pm »
Hey, I’m new here!

We’re looking at buying a house in Scotland that sits in total on just under 2acres. The current owners use the land for live stock and has a CPH number on it.

The home report is £275k though the seller mentioned today that we would only get a mortgage on the actual house value not including the land. She doesn’t know what our mortgage surveyor would value the house at. But it she believes it might only be £200k
. This would mean I need to pay 75k cash for the land??

Is this correct? Seems a minefield. And no way we can afford 10% deposit on a £200k mortgage and then add in £75k if not more..

Any experiences / advice is very welcome.

Rebecca and Mark

• Joined Mar 2021
Re: Mortgage help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 04:33:36 pm »
Speak to a proper expert. We used Wall to Wall and would recommend them, they got us an excellent deal in the face of some challenging circumstances.

Their fee two years ago was about £1000, which frankly represented good value.

https://wall2wallfinance.co.uk/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 05:52:25 pm »
That's what happened in our case, Miniegg. However, we negotiated a relatively low value for the land, which meant it didn't actually cause us any bother.

You might also find that the seller WANT to do that too, because they might well be paying capital gains tax on the increase in value of the land over the years, whereas they won't be paying it on the increase in value of the house if it's been their primary residence.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 07:38:26 pm »
I have bought and sold 5 houses with land in Scotland over the past 30 years.  Your lawyer and the selling lawyer should agree on the values of land, buildings, and fixtures and fittings between them.  Both should be working to the advantage of their clients, and the advantage to both sides is that the land is of low value - agricultural land is rarely worth more than a few thousand an acre.  £75000 for 2 acres is absolutely ridiculous, that is building development land level

If you don't have a Scottish lawyer, get one now! If your seller has been in teh house a long time they will have little idea of how this is worked out
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

05trojan

• Joined Sep 2018
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 10:58:27 am »
We bought a small holding in Scotland 5 years ago.  10 acres.  House and barns. 

It was on a residential mortgage with Nationwide and they didn't even question it. 

Definitely get a Scottish solicitor and also see a Mortgage advisor who knows what they are doing. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 07:40:36 am »
I know things have changed but our house and 12 acres was on a residential mortgage - we just had to say we wouldn't run a business on it. Get professional advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS