Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oats - threshing  (Read 2325 times)

sunnyjohn

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Milton Keynes
Oats - threshing
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »
Don't know if this qualifies as 'vegetables' but, as they are plants, I can't see anywhere more suitable.

I've had a degree of success growing oats, which were an interesting experimental crop. But now I've got them, I'm finding them a b***er to thresh. With only a few square metres worth, my yield hardly qualifies for a commercial approach, and the whole patch is smaller than the average combine harvester!

We bought a 'mill' - a screw-to-the-table job - to turn the threshed grain into 'rolled oats' for porridge, or recipes needing that degree of crushing. And a food processor is fine for turning them into (whole-grain) oat-flour. But the grain when it comes from the stems has two layers of husk. The outer layer comes off fairly easily, but the inner layer is reluctant to come away at all. It's possible, grain-by-grain, by hand. But that is mindless and time-consuming...!

Pouring the grain onto the floor and assaulting it with a flail IS an option, but we end up with a mass of bits, some crushed, some flour, and some un-touched!

Does anyone know a small machine that can denude oat (or other grain - that could be adapted) without destroying it in the process? It could be hand-driven or electric, or whatever.... We'd really appreciate any suggestions or leads.

Thanks,    John & Linda

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Oats - threshing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:28:56 am »
Rusty or Mr Ree will be your boys for this!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS