Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castrating a 3 year old ram  (Read 7925 times)

Horseshoe

• Joined Mar 2018
Castrating a 3 year old ram
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:18:29 pm »
We have a small flock of sheep including 2 rams, one of which is related to our ewes so unable to breed with them.
The rams are 3 years old this year and I wondered, if we had the ram who we can't breed from castrated, what is the liklihood that the 2 rams could live together. They used to be fine together until they came into contact with the ewes but now seem as if they would happily kill eachother!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Castrating a 3 year old ram
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:36 am »
They would probably be OK once the castrated ram's hormones have subsided.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:56:44 am »
You’ll need to check with your vet that s/he’s happy to perform the op. The welfare standards stipulate that it should be done by three months old, and our vet preferred to do it younger still.

Is there no chance you could find the tup a working home?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:31:59 am »
Why's that Sally?  Our vet happily gave us prices for both vascectomising and castrating an 18 month old tup.

In the end I have to admit I went for the cheapest option of all, and he was absolutely delicious!  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:59:24 am »
Unusual for rams to be sparring at this time of year, even if in a field next to non-pregnant females.  At three years old maybe they've just turned nasty, as some rams do as they age ....?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »
Where arouts are you and what breed are  your tups? Maybe you could look to swap the one you can't breed from?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 12:59:35 pm »
The vet gave me the impression that it’s quite a big thing (actually two big things  :D) in a three month old lamb, and he’d prefer I organised it earlier. 

My situation was choosing castration by vet as I had a few I wasn’t able to ring within the first week.  Perhaps I’d have had a different reaction if it had just been a single tup, and clearly an unusual situation.  In later years we burdizzoed ourselves and found that perfectly satisfactory. (Ex-BH was very experienced with the burdizzo; it’s not a suitable option otherwise.)

As to the sparring : it is proper testosterone-fuelled fighting, is it, not just sparring over food resources with spring in the air?  I ask because some of my non-pregnant adult sheep (wethers and unbred ewes) have been doing a bit of head butting in recent weeks, but nothing serious.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »
My Rams always attack each other after shearing - they just don't seem to recognise each other. Can't you just pen them in together quite tight for 24hrs.

Horseshoe

• Joined Mar 2018
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 06:07:14 pm »
Thank you for all your replies. I think it is proper fighting. They take run ups and really butt making eachother bleed. I have had them separated for a few months now but we are moving and I won't have as much land so this will be more difficult
They have even gone through a post and rail fence.
I would love to find a home for him where he could be used for breeding but assume that as he is unproven and 3 years old it would be difficult. Which is why I am considering castration but it would be awful to have it done and they still fight.
He is a Southdown Babydoll pedigree.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 09:30:46 pm »
Surely if he's pedigree you could sell him for breeding?  Ok he might be unproven but don't ask too much for him.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 11:07:53 pm »
My Rams always attack each other after shearing - they just don't seem to recognise each other. Can't you just pen them in together quite tight for 24hrs.

All sheep do this after shearing, not just rams.  They don't recognise each other, no, and have to re-establish their 'pecking order'.  And it's comical when the lambs don't recognise their mothers!  (And noisy!  Since they have to use vocal recognition at first, to get reunited.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS