Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: traumatic day  (Read 1758 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
traumatic day
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:43:51 pm »
Went down to see the ewes first thing yesterday. One popped two lambs out whilst I wasn't looking. Helped her with the third as it was the wrong way round. So far so good. Checked the oldest ewe who had lost two of three lambs and she  couldn't walk because her infection was so bad. Tom the decision to have her put down. Next ewe was Straining to long and had a head and one leg out but we couldn't budge it. Called the vet by which time the lamb was dead. He had to cut the head off to get the body back in to get the legs out. Trauma over we thought. Went for a pint and came back to find a the day old lamb on its side. We couldn't do anything to revive it. 7 lambs out of 10. Hope next year is better

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: traumatic day
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:21:56 pm »
Sorry to hear you have had such a bad time!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:34:02 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:04 pm »
How awful for you :bouquet: .  Our lambing started badly last year but luckily we have a great vet that saved the ewe and gave lots of good advice.
All you can do is learn from it and try to work out what went wrong, and how to avoid anything similar again.  Roll on next year.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:19:42 pm »
When lambing goes well it is an utter delight.  :excited:

Sadly it often doesn't all go well - and when you have only a small flock, three or four setbacks can seem as though the whole thing has been a disaster from start to finish.  :hug:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »
A few years ago we ended up with only one live lamb out of 5 ewes, I couldn't even blame myself as my sheep farmer neighbour kept them and lambed them for me as I couldn't. So even the most experienced have disasters.

Anne

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:49:37 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that, it sounds awful.
Hoping all your other lambies do well and that you enjoy them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS