Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barnaby  (Read 2151 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Barnaby
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:51:41 am »
Came to us from the C.P.S. back in March. He is a beautiful grey boy very like a Russian Blue. It became clear to us that he had been an indoor cat, very scared of the outdoors, used to sleeping on the bed, being fed titbits when cooking in the kitchen. Jacs our other outdoor cat did not take to him at first but over the summer she has decided that he is here to stay so they now get on well enough. Due to Barnaby being indoors Jacs decided if it was good enough for him then she too would start coming into the house when weather was not to her liking. Our three dogs took the cats taking over their house, a bit puzzled at first but now they have worked out what the cat leaves in their dishes is a free for all. I started leaving our bedroom window open when I was at home and at first Barnaby would climb out and then come straight back in. Now after months of having little trips out he enjoys the freedom. The day he caught his first mouse he was so pleased with himself and brought it to the door for us to see. This weekend he caught his first rabbit and his delight at his prize was very funny making it very clear that he was sharing this with no one. I know people love to have kittens but there is a lot of joy to be had taking on an adult cat that for some reason needs a new home. We think Barnaby's owner may have died, its very clear he was a much loved pet, given lots of attention. he likes nothing better to hear my husband whistle and will jump up on his lap purring and dribling all over his hands as he get petted.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Barnaby
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:54 am »
I absolutely agree. Until Harry and Bertie, we have always rehomed older cats - Cass was estimated at 6-10, Copper was 14, Homer was estimated at 10 plus and Felix was 7. Homer was quite timid as he had been a stray for some time and the day he came through to the living room and sat by the fire (he lived in the spare room) was wonderful. We only had him two years - he was FIV+ and his kidneys failed - but they were a good two, maybe the best of his life.

Yes, I would definitely recommend it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »
Me too, Sophie adopted us when we arrived to live in the country, aged about 2 we think, tried to find out where she came from but drew a blank so she stayed and kept control of the dogs for us.  When she died a couple of years ago, my friend offered me her daughter's two gingers following a marriage break up, they were about 8 at the time.  Candy disappeared about a year ago, she always came in every night and slept on my lap while I watched TV, no idea what happened to her. Her brother, Rio, is presently curled up on the duvet in the dog cage, but is often on my knee as I work on the computer.  Very loving cats, all three, and Soph and Candy very much missed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:10:38 pm »
I agree.  My first cats were 10 years old when I adopted them (one of them is now almost 16).  And I now have Tinker who was 7 years old when I got him.  Meg the springer was 9 years old when I got her.  I love the oldies. :love:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:43:59 pm »
Sabrina he sounds lovely!
any chance of a photo?  I LOVE blue cats... (just havent got one yet! ours are tabby, B & W x2 and grey & W)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS