Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Its cold, snowing and  (Read 4500 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Its cold, snowing and
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:17:41 pm »
it looks like Charlie the pygmy has chosen today to kid ......please, please kid before tonight. I do not want to be making trips down to the barn in sub zero temperatures :D

She has taken herself off into the far pen .....typical. Had it been the other pen, I could view from a peep hole near the back door, but this is just out of view.  And its dark too in that pen, but just as they like it, quiet and dark.  I am doing checks every couple of hours, until signs of anything happening.  She is just lying down and getting up, etc. at the moment.  My last goat to kid, I left to put the kettle on, came back and she had twins. 

Its her first kidding, so probably just the one, and whats the betting it will be a billy goat?!!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Its cold, snowing and
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:20:31 pm »
Best of luck, dreadful day here in Fife too. Remember pictures of the new arrival/s please. :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »
Hope everything goes well Roxy.  Look forward to seeing the pictures.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:51:57 pm »
Well, its bad news I am afraid.

I upped my visits to the barn to one an hour, then looked after 45 minutes.  She was still lay in her corner, but not looking distressed.  Been to look again, and there was a kid lay there.  It did not appear to be moving, so I grabbed it, and did everything I could to revive it, but sadly no use.  Charlie had cleaned it, and its mouth and nose were clear.  Such a shame, big strapping billy, black and white, the image of Bobby the billy goat.

Charlie is now tucking into her hay, and does not seem particularly bothered to me.

Not a good week for me,  as yesterday I found one of my cats dead which was a  shock, and now this.  But, keeping livestock involves lows as well as highs, and we just have to accept it, don't we.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »
Oh Roxy I am so sorry, and there was me asking for pictures. I hope mum continues to be ok as you have had enough shocks. It is the worst of keeping any animals but even knowing this doesn't help when the shock happens. Hope you keep remembering all the fun times just now. :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:59:47 pm »
oh, don't worry James - I have bee around goats and livestock long enough to cope with the sad times.  But I was looking forward to having goat kids around again!!  Fingers crossed better luck with Molly, Charlies mum

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:46:54 pm »
What a shame  :(

Better luck next time.

Snowing here too and lying.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »
Any idea why, Roxy?  I lost a puppy this time round - placenta had detached two days before and it was perfectly formed - just smaller than the others as it had stopped obviously.  Fortunately I realised that the black discharge meant she was starting to abort, and got Belle to the vet for a Caesar and saved the other five.  All well so far.  Sorry you lost this one.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:17:39 pm »
No idea why this happened.  But this is one of the goats I got from Newcastle that were kept in a garden.  Charlie was kept with her father, so got in kid at 5 months, therefore she is only 10 months now.  Not ideal, being so young, and also so closely bred.  The goat had bagged up, and as far as I can tell had gone full term.  The kid looked a full term kid, and although a pygmy, was large.  Because I was not there at the birth, I obviously do not know if it was DOA or was alive at birth.  I do know pygmy goats are prone to problems more than the larger breeds when giving birth, and a few people have said theirs have had to have a c section.

In all my years of goat keeping, with mainly twins and one set of triplets, that is the first kid I have lost.  I am sad for the goat, and also frustrated about it, but its happened and thats it.  Got to move on, and hope all is well with the next goat to kid.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:53 pm »
One of my Pygmy girls, Prudence, was given to me from a breeder as she too had problems kidding. When I first saw her she was due any time and I was buying one of her kids. However, the breeders who were very experienced decided that due to the traumatic experience she had at kidding it would be unwise to try and breed from her. They said she was so small that if she tried to kid again it may kill her next time, so asked if we would take her as there was no kid for us. We have now had her several years and have kept our promise not to breed her. She is a great girl and rules the boys let me tell you. :goat:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:32:23 pm »
I have two registered pygmy nannies, but they are so tiny, I would not be happy breeding from them.  The thing is, if things go wrong, you need to be able to put your hand in.  I have tiny hands, but not small enough for pygmy goats!!!  Cute as they are, I think I will keep the pygmy goats just as pets, and use the bigger ones for breeding.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:57 am »
Sorry to hear the news Roxy, such a shame when you lose one needlessly.

Lets hope the next kidding goes better.

Beth

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:27:16 am »
Sorry to hear your news Roxy
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 09:17:52 am »
So sorry.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »
Sorry to hear about your cat and baby goat.  Animal ownership is tough sometimes isn't it?!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS