Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All in the name of fun  (Read 2859 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
All in the name of fun
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
This is on  the BBC News section today and is quite sickening to read:

Teenagers guilty of deer stamping death 

The boys denied intentionally killing the deer
Two 17-year-old boys have been found guilty of killing a two-day-old deer in a Dorset park by stamping on it.

Three boys, two aged 17 and one 16, were accused of intentionally killing the deer while on land without consent after the attack on 10 June.

The 17-year-olds were cleared of beating a wild mammal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering. They will be sentenced in January.

The 16-year-old was cleared of both charges at Poole Youth Court.

During their trial, one of the 17-year-olds told the court he gave the fawn a karate chop to its head in Upton Country Park.

But the court was told the trio only decided to kill the deer because it appeared to have a broken leg.

'Stomped' on

The court heard that the youngest defendant told police he only nudged the fawn once with his foot and did not laugh like the others.

A post-mortem examination showed the deer suffered several skull fractures, a severed spine and a fractured right leg.

The teenagers, from Poole, were arrested on 15 June after a police appeal attracted international interest and officers were tipped-off with their names.

Prosecutors said that one boy swung the deer by one of its legs and another karate chopped its head before all three "stomped" it to death.

The court was told one of the 17-year-olds had said they should break one of the deer's legs "for a laugh".

Paul Griffin, prosecuting, told the court: "The deer was moving, it was trying to escape. Then they all decided to kill it."

He said one of the 17-year-olds had "accepted he had stomped on the fawn's ribs because he thought it would be fun".

Police were alerted to the incident by dog walker Keith Arthurs, 52, who witnessed the killing.

The court heard he was so distressed by what he saw he no longer goes to the park.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: All in the name of fun
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »
An eye for an eye.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:54:58 pm »
What are the parents teaching these kids!!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »
If these youngsters were dogs they would be put to sleep!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:14:37 pm »
this is a very interesting one.

it's often stated that people who abuse children (mentally/physically/sexually) have a history of cruelty to animals - so i wonder what kind of future supervision these people will be subject to in order to ensure their mental problems reappear in the future.

what would be suitable punishment for these people?

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07:22 am »
Oh God, I feel sick after reading that.  I agree with Rosemary, an eye for an eye.  Just leave me at them and they will realise what that poor animal went through.  I'm not normally a violent person but when it involves this kind of cruelty it just gets my blood boiling.  What little bas***ds

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:10:44 am »
this is a very interesting one.

it's often stated that people who abuse children (mentally/physically/sexually) have a history of cruelty to animals - so i wonder what kind of future supervision these people will be subject to in order to ensure their mental problems reappear in the future.

what would be suitable punishment for these people?

[/quot

Euthanasia?

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:40 pm »
was just thinking some more about this - these teenagers are being tried in a youth court. maybe i'm wrong, but it appears they are being tried as children

when i was 16 years old I was in the Royal navy ready to go to war in the Gulf (1st time round - i'm not that young!)

i'll be interested to see what punishment they get. I've put a wee reminder in my diary to look up this case again at the end of January to see what they got.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:54:45 pm »
I'm highjacking this thread a little.  Does anyone know how you can find out when a case is due to be heard in an English Court?  It's an animal welfare issue case.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:16:15 am »
hi doganjo if you know the court and the name of the offender the courts will hand over the dates if you phone them. short of that there is a site that lists all cases for the next 24 hours cannot remember the details our local court told me about it (we had a case to watch long story) it covers all of the english crown courts.
this may help or not.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »
Pretty sure it'll be her local court and know her name. RSPCA involved and they said they hoped it would be soon, but first hearing was ages ago - she sacked her lawyer for wanting to plead guilty  :'( ::)

Just thought, I think I know someone being called as a witness so they'll let me know.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:34:51 pm »
As people know I worked in Child protection as well as Fostering. I had a Foster child who abused animals and I rang the RSPCA to come to speak with her about the cruel things, they never came and the child did go on to abuse children, mind yo, they grew up with that culture as they were abused, so nothing had value only pop stars or footballers!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS