Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New........ help please..pigs and chucks together??  (Read 9930 times)

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
Re: New........ help please..pigs and chucks together??
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 07:45:32 am »
hi as the post are aove they are right i think go for the aloment idea  however if u did decide to keep pigs and chickens  u would need a vacsination to the birds and the pigs before farrowing  there is a disease if i spell it right called euthriadiease  is a bacteria based disease that has a high mortality 

i know this cos i keep poulrty on a large scale and  i vacinate againt this disease but is not cheap to do so  i know on the allomentsround where i live u can keep chickens rabbits and i think but dont quote me on it pigss for fatterning ad they are old style alotments that have been there for ages
 u would need to contact the local concil about them  if a tenancey was agrees with your past family members that stillcould be in a fect what they call a hereitery title  so is a never ending lease as it where it passes to farther to son unfortunaly i is broken if you dot not have a son i knows its a little out dates but i know of a few of these round by me  the same piece of land or plot has been in the same family for years  for example there is one parcel of land i know of thats 94 acers and it has been in the same family tenant  for 50 years  and still is its is there option if they wish to sell and there option if some one want to buy them out but they can name there price  there rent is £4000 a year because its also tied into the old lease

any way good luck hope all goes well

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 09:18:46 am »
Before you approach your parish council, do you research into laws since forgotton. I think there is one that says if 6 or more people approach the council together askin for somewhere to grow there own food the council are obligation to provide you with an area of land.

Good luck!

BB

Geeza

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 12:29:26 pm »
Thanks all . Billy you are on the ball. My father who sorted the allotments years and years ago has informed me that if there are any disagreements towards this then get a list of 20 people who need an allotment plot and loby them with the list. They then Have to allocate the land as allotments......

Just called the council the guy is off sick for 4 weeks.. typical if we do get this up and started then it will be half way through the year and be tooo late to plant anything (Yup I do want them turned in to allotment plots)..

Ahhh well i will chase the head of the green team... Any one with ideas of who to speak to please post and i WILL DO SO THANKS AGAIN

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:26:48 pm »
Before you approach your parish council, do you research into laws since forgotton. I think there is one that says if 6 or more people approach the council together askin for somewhere to grow there own food the council are obligation to provide you with an area of land.
Good luck!
BB
Do you happen to know if that is for Scotland as well or just England?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 07:56:25 am »
Hope you can sell your eggs to buy some local home reared pork then you almost get the best of both worlds.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »
Hi Geeza

Have a look at the River Cottage website for info on starting allotments.

For chicken advice go to the practical poultry forum - very helpful friendly people who will answer all your questions.

Good Luck

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 07:08:51 am »
Re chickens and pigs in together, I have just watched horrified as the new gilt on the block stalked a wild duck.  The fact that it could fly is the only reason she did not have duck for dinner.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 09:13:58 pm »
I have to admit that I'm feeling nervous for my 20 chucks safety when we get our pigs!  :o

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »
at a farm 10 miles away, that has a farm shop and cafe, they kept pigs in the enclosure next to the car park. they kept the free rang meat birds next to that, ducks, and chickens. when my friend asked how it was going the reply was that the pigs were stamping on any birds crossing the fence and eating them, in front of shocked punters. :o

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 10:03:20 pm »
Oops!! :o ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 08:59:52 am »
I was a bit shocked as all our birds are free range, sometimes some of the pigs free range, never had any problems before.  Have moved new gilt further down, away from where the birds range.  Hope she never gets out.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:19 pm »
Our chooks follow the rooting igs and clear up whatever gets turned over. Occasionally, the pigs will run at them but so far, the hens have just fluttered away.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS