Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello peoples  (Read 11913 times)

ducky2108

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Glasgow
Hello peoples
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:01 am »
Hi all,

I've posted one post so far, but thought I'd say hi anyway. I'm Paul

Currently living in a flat in central glasgow (I know, hardly a smallholding), but am currently looking to buy somewhere in the suberbs with a garden big enough for a veggie plot and a few chickens. From tiny acorns and all that.

When I grow up (read retire, or at least get near to that point) I dream of owning a small holding of my own.

Paul

Edit: P.S. When the time comes for me to get these chickens, I'll be tapping you all up for advice and where to buy and the like. At the minute, I'd quite like some marans, for no other reason than I think they're pretty. I've picked out the names they're going to have too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:07:02 am by ducky2108 »

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Re: Hello peoples
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:58 am »
hey and welcome to the forums!  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
Hey Paul, living in a flat, rear a few tomatoes and peppers in pots, its the start on the road to your organic smallholding.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:40:19 pm »
Hi Paul.

Welcome.

We too live in the centre of Glasgow - our fledgling farm is in Strathblane. Anytime you want to get your hands dirty give us a shout - we have 35 ewes in lamb, 2 rams and a couple of HUGE pigs who all love a bit of human company!  :D

You'll get lots of information here - just ask!

Pebbles

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:07:09 pm »
Hello and welcome.   :) Even if you only have a balcony, you can grow potatoes in a tub or bag. Dead easy and incredible flavour.    ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:09:01 pm »
Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum. Can't wait for you to get your chooks, it'll be great.  ;D

Dan

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 05:28:59 pm »
Hi Paul

Welcome. Scotland is a great place to start on life with a smallholding.  I have worked up there and love it. Are there any allotments available?

ducky2108

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:37:18 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Don't have a balcony, so growing anything large is out, and all of our windows are hinged upwards and outwards, so anything grown on a windowsill would just get knocked off. We can't even grow herbs indoors as the cat just sees the plantpots of soil as adventure playgrounds. This may change with the house move that's coming up.

As for allotments, they're more difficult to come by than hen's teeth in this city, and the waiting lists are years long (if they're not being closed down *cry*) although we have tried. Most waiting lists are so long that we've been told they're effectively "closed". The rest, you need to be a member of the bowls-club mafia.

And finally, Pebbles. Thanks for the offer. It's very kind, and one day soon (when I'm not having to move house or anything) I may take you up on that offer and pop up and say hello.  I think I know where strathblane is, and my grand plan involves pigs too. What sort do you have?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:10:49 pm by ducky2108 »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:55:51 pm »
Hi, Paul

Welcome to the TAS forums - especially as you're a Scot. We're becoming a minority breed!

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 07:13:01 pm »
Hello Paul,

I'm sure you'll really enjoy this site  ;D
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:43 pm »
welcome and enjoy
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

ducky2108

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
I'm not a true Scot. I was a student here for four years (until 2002), and I came back in 2005 from Nottinghamshire.

I'm sort of an honourary semi-Scot (if such a thing is allowed)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:17:34 pm »
Hi again,

We've got a couple of 6mth old Oxford Sandy & Blacks (we'll be breeding from them soon) they are such characters and so funny. Once lambing is out of the way and things have settled down again, we'll be moving on to chickens, geese and ducks! We saw a lovely new born calf the other day too - ohh tempting! You start off with something small and it just keeps getting bigger!!!  :D

Strathblane is just outside of Milngavie - seven miles from where we are in Kelvinside. You're welcome anytime!

Pebbles

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 07:50:26 am »
You are, in my book, a Scot by choice! Dan's a "Scot by choice" except when there's football on!

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 06:46:35 pm »
Hi Paul,

Great to hear of another man with a plan, but why wait for retirement? Carpe Diem and all that stuff. In the mean time an allotment is a terrific way to get started and get your confidence. And I'd take Pebbles up on her offer - a great way to learn.

And I'm not a Scot - I'm an Orcadian (thanks to my great grandfather). . . except when the rugby's on and I'm very Irish.

Malc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS