Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a bit upset and dissappointed  (Read 2692 times)

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
a bit upset and dissappointed
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »
lost a lamb today :'(
went to feed them and she was barely breathing, to begin with i thought she was dead, then when i picked her up she started gasping for breathe, she stayed alive for about another hr and a bit, but then just died, she was 7 days old, but since we got her she hadnt really put any weight on, i think she just got too cold last night :(

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: a bit upset and dissappointed
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »
Sorry to hear that, must be harder to have got to that age then still to lose them. I only lambed two at end end January when it was freezing (bought-in ewes in lamb) and wondered why anyone would want to lamb that early. But in truth cold and dry is much better than the horrid weather of the last few days.  I'm going to ensure my larger flock next year continue to have access to shelter whatever time of year. I know some experienced people keep ewes and lambs in when weather is bad.  Did you try glucose/warming her?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:18 am »
So sorry to hear that Crazy. Sometimes they die for no reason we can fathom. You say she never really put any weight on 'since we got her', was she then a cade? Normally I would ask if you knew that mum's teats were flowing and she was suckling ok but I'm reading that there wasn't a mum in this case. This weather is an appalling start for these tender new lives, we're all working against it. I understand how it feels to lose a lamb that you've had for days rather than hours and minutes. It must be especially hard if you've been acting mum. Big hugs  :'(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:24 am »
 :bouquet:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:47:58 am »
Sorry to hear that  :(, if she was a cade they can be difficult to get started - mine took ages to suckle properly on the bottle and you don't know how much, if any, milk or colostrum they got from their mothers, so they can be already compromised when you get them.

:bouquet:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:50 am »
We had a kune kune piglet that was poorly, under the vet for almost 10 days but then had to have her put to sleep... it's horrible whens it happens!

Sorry to hear your news!
Metal Detectorist

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »
Sorry   :bouquet:

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 04:52:24 pm »
yes she was a cade a farmer we knew asked if we could try and keep her going, as mum didnt have enough milk for 2, she suckled very well we had no problems getting her to latch on after taking her from mum, and yes we did try warming her, hot water bottles, and electric blankets, but i think we got to her too late :(

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:32 pm »
so sorry to hear your news.  It's always sad to lose one but especially when it's a few days old.  Have a hug.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:22 am »
Oh how awful for you.  (((hug)))
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS