Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing cattle  (Read 8391 times)

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
Showing cattle
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:05 am »
Hi all, I am going to attempt to show my yearling highland heifer this summer but need some advice on getting the look!!! I have washed and dried and fluffed but now a little puzzled on how to get the horns looking their best with a little shine does anybody know how to get the shine on the horns I am grateful for any suggestions
Thanks
Mark

HappyHippy

Re: Showing cattle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »
I think you use a really fine grade sandpaper - but wait for some proper cattle keepers to confirm that before getting stuck in  ;)
Good luck at the show  :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:44:01 pm »
Yep, I was told coarse then fine grade sandpaper and oil. I'm off to "do" Breeze  ;D

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »
Thanks for the help will have a try tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:30 pm »
I was out with the sandpaper tonight - she didn't like it much  ::) The brushing was fine - actually they all like being brushed but not keen on the sandpapering. She might just have to go with rough horns. They're a nice shape though  :)

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
Just used the sandpaper and oil look good and she not fussed about sanding only thing is do you leave oil wet or try and buff up and what oil I tried linseed is that right also do you just oil up before you go in the show ring all these Qs
Mark

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:06:43 am »
Where do you live? I went to the buddy session at the North of England club a couple of weeks ago where I had practical advice on how to prepare for showing. Rub the horns with emery paper befor you wash the cattle so that you dont get dust on the coat important with black animals. halter the animal then put baby oil on just before you go in the ring.
Karen

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:29 am »
Great thanks for that I am away up in the outer most inner Hebridean island tiree one of the sunniest places in Britain and windiest too

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »
Baby oil works well.  Linseed oil is a drying oil and can also give a slightly yellow finish.  Some favour hoof oil but to my eye it looks a little too shiny and artificial.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:39:35 pm »
 Baby oil is what I've been told to use.

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »
Thanks everybody gave them another sanding tonight hut no oil will sand and oil tomorrow so I can see the look got her on hay at moment to try and tighten back end she a little runny what with all the good green grass up here

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 09:46:45 am »
Our foot trimmer was here yesterday and he breeds and shows Highlands - he said some of his were a wee bit scooty with the grass. Henry is too, but the girls aren't too bad.

Where are you showing?

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »
We are going to the tiree show on fri 20th so 1 week to go how did you get on at Kirriemuir show this weekend

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »
Rosemary will still be there just now Mark  ;)
Give it a couple of hours and keep  :fc:
Karen  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 07:56:05 pm »
We are going to the tiree show on fri 20th so 1 week to go how did you get on at Kirriemuir show this weekend

Breeze won her class, George won his, Breeze was "other native breed champion" and George was reserve. We didn't place in the interbreed. Both behaved impeccably. Lots and lots of interest in the Shetland breed, photos taken for the Scottish Farmer and The Courier, which is what we wanted.

Now I have to tell the truth - we were the only two cattle in the "Other Native Breed" classes, but you can only compete against the others there on the day.

Everyone was brillinant - the stewards, the judges, the other exhibitors (especially Alun and Angela Garton and Ginny Stacey-Marks who have Highlands and were so reassuring and encouraging, the lovely Mr Lascelles with his enormous AA bull that Breeze took a shine to and the equally lovely man who had the Champion Charolais who came past twice to see Breeze and said he "just loves this wee coo").

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS