Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unwell ewe  (Read 6896 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
unwell ewe
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:06:43 am »
Have woken up to a ewe who is acting quite out of character and not looking too good. Wondered if you could give me some advice please?

She's an 18 month old texelX lawnmower. Very tame, little overweight.

Feet are fine, no signs of scour at all but she was lying down in the frosty grass and reluctant to get up. Couple of times I heard brief tooth grinding so she's sore somewhere?  She's not going near the bucket for her usual small handful of feed, no interest in hay or water.
I've lifted her up to encourage her to walk about and heard some rumblings and burps so hope her rumen is working but she's  just 'not right' and she's currently standing looking very fed up, next to the fence.
any ideas from those of you more experienced than me would be very gratefully received.
ps - she's a bottle fed pet, out of all of our sheep she is The one who is our tamest and the kids love her  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: unwell ewe
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:24:55 am »
Sorry to hear about your poorly ewe Plums.

Is there any chance she has raided the feed bins and has bloat? Or could she have eaten anything poisonous?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:29:12 am »
Thanks for the reply Haylo-peapod

No chance on the feed bins as they are locked away.  While I can't rule out the poisonous option 100% I would be very surprised as there's been sheep in that field, on and off, for so many years and no new plants or trees added  :-\  I will take a walk round this morning though to make sure nothing has blown in and that there's nothing dodgy looking - thank you.
Am hoping that a day of sunshine (albeit cold!) might perk her up? do you think I should get a mineral drench in as well?

we have a rockie yellow lick with free access and they have a diddy handful of course sheep mix every day or so each.fresh water and about 3 acres for the 5 of them to amble about it.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51:54 am »
I guess a mineral drench wouldn't do her any harm and if you have concerns about her rumen you may like to try some pro-rumen.

Do you have any biting midges at the moment? I'm hoping the recent cold snap has killed the pesky things off but I believe that sheep can be off-clolour for a week or two if they get infected with schmallenberg.

There's probably a whole host of things that might make her off colour and hopefully someone else might have some further ideas.

:fc:  she's soon feeling a bit perkier.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53:30 am »
I'd not noticed any but that's not to say there aren't - its been bitter cold and rainy here for a few days, to the point of very boggy ground and some flooding on the roads.
Just waiting for my monday soap wrapping helper to appear, once she's been I can nip out to buy a drench and pro rumen. Thank you  :)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:01:05 am »
Sorry to hear about your girl. Wondered if you had taken her temperature? It should be 40c I believe and I think too high often indicates an infection, too low can be due to mineral deficiency.   Have you tried tempting her with dandelion leaves or ivy or what ever is her favourite treat? One of my ewes was a bit 'strange' the other day - came to the bucket feeder as usual but didn't really eat anything, however by tea time she was fine so what the problem was I don't know?! I hope a bit of sunshine will perk her up. 
4 pet sheep

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:15 am »
 Has she been treated for fluke?

It's a real issue HERE just now because of the wet conditions. Might be worth a call to your vet to see what s/he recommends for your area.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:34 am »
As well as temperature, check the mucus membranes for colour.

Tooth grinding can be pain, stress, toothache, rough teeth...

Are there any lumps and bumps or sore spots along the jaw, side of the mouth?  If she's very tame she'll probably let you see inside her mouth to check she hasn't got a rough or sticky-out bit on a tooth somewhere.

Are her eyes bright and shiny?

Could she have ingested something inappropriate?  Knickers off the line, baler twine, a lucozade bottle, a downed firework... ?

Burps and rumbles are encouraging... when you watch her left side, can you see the regular contractions as the rumen contracts in a wave from back to front?  Should occur every 30 seconds.  You should be able to see and feel it; I find the best spot to watch is the upper flank behind the ribs in front of the hips; the wave starts here and moves forwards.

A drench of natural yoghurt and sunflower oil will do no harm if you can't get out to get some pro-rumen.  Add a little ginger if you have some.  You should absolutely see and hear the rumen working after this.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
Just been back out to check her temp and she ran off. Didn't want to stress her too much so tried to move her into our little isolation paddock but she's having none of it.
I will treat the above as a hopeful sign for now  ;)
membranes are nice and pink. No lumps or bumps and her teeth look ok.

Sally I am in stitches reading your post - its like you have seen inside my house!! I can rule of knickers as have used tumble drier, baler twine is always a possible  :-\  lucozade bottle (I have an addiction and am weaning off, hence my giggles!) the firework unlikely despite the ar$e of a neighbour who fires them into our paddocK!
lots of rumbles in the tum. shes now moved down to the hay so fingers crossed she'll keep her rumen working?  If she goes 'down' again I'm calling the vet out.  will get OH to buy some pro rumen on his way home. I'm still stuck in waiting for someone who may (or may not) turn up to work (think Thelma Madine's programme....welcome to my life!) 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »
Update - she is now grazing, burping, acting sheep-like and looks 100% phew! thanks for your help today everyone  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:58 pm »
Missed this, but very happy to hear she's feeling more herself now  :thumbsup:

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 06:47:22 pm »
I had a friend picking up hay today, whose pony was off-colour for a couple of days - not eating, lying down, "just not right".  Just before calling the vet she had a look around her field and found some mushrooms/fungi had been nibbled.

Pony now fine and back to herself.

It might be worth checking if she's a greedy ewe.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:55:37 pm »
Just seen this. So glad your girl is acting more sheepy.  :fc:  she's going to be fine now. They do like to keep us on our toes don't they!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:10:53 am »
I didn't see this either, in my unreads. Hope all is fine now. Animals cause so much worry when we care  :bouquet:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14:59 am »
Morning all!

well after a bit of an unsettled night (was worried what I would find this morning!) I have found Nimble looking very well and doing all I would expect of her  :relief:
I am inclined to believe that she ate something that she shouldn't have so I will be doing a thorough sweep of the land for mushrooms etc and cursing the fireworks/chinese lanterns crew if I find any.
thanks again
Lisa

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS