Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More greetings frae Scotland but its nae sunny  (Read 3180 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
More greetings frae Scotland but its nae sunny
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:28:43 pm »
Hello
I was inspired by your post Daveravey. Thought that I would contribute my first post. We moved onto our 10 acres of land on the western boundary of Angus - at the foot of Glen Isla, a month ago. When I thought about it I realised that this had been by ambition for more than 20 years. Although for many reasons I wasn't actively trying to make it happen all that time. We had just given up on ever finding an affordable piece of land in the right place when this one popped up on the Bell Ingram website. So it too us 30 months after buying the field before we could move here. We are now living in a shed while our house is going up.
I work full time in Perth and my OH works from home, repairing domestic computers. A fortnight ago we were given a trio of ducks. They are a mixture of things including indian runner and mallard and very very sweet.
On Friday I visited a wily neighbour to buy some of his hens that he needed to thin down and came back with a completely different set of birds to the ones I wanted. I had wanted 4 black rocks for laying and two bantams for sitting on eggs. It would be so wonderful to hatch chicks. We have 5 children ageing from 19 to 13, and the twins who are 13 might be inspired by chicks. Anyway we came back with 4 bantams and 4 dutch bantams.
I have put the dutch bantams into a separate wee pen with a roof because I am worried that the cats might be tempted. They are so small.
the other 4 I have put into a shed. Three of them came out an wandered about today but it seems as though the one that stayed in the shed was being aggressive and not letting the others back in. Can anyone tell me if they will resolve the thing themselves or whether I have to intervene?
Oh and Daveyray that was just a really long winded way of saying keep trying and it will happen.
By the way I really liked reading about some of you meeting up at the Stirling Auction . I'm  little shy but would like to come along next time there is a good excuse to look and talk about chooks.
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: More greetings frae Scotland but its nae sunny
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:35 am »
Hi and a very warm welcome, its nice that you have realised your ambitions. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:22:28 am »
Lots of friendly folk here, so welcome and don't be shy!

Central SCotland Smallholders Association might be too far for you but you would be very welcome - lots of common members (and I don't mean their manners!) www.smallholders.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:30:04 am »
Some of the rest of us are shy too(not me as you may guess  ;D, although funnily enough I was when I was younger) but you would certainly be very welcome to CSSA - and we'd love to meet you both if your 19 year old would look after the others for an evening!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:05 pm »
Hello from central Scotland, I too was a very shy person, my mum embarrassed me so much buy telling the Butcher I thought he looked like Russ Conway! I bet very few remember him but I darned look the Butcher in the face again and I was only 7 at the time. The only time I stopped being shy was when I worked after school in a cafe, I was 15 and it was full of teenagers "Mods" to me they were all very good looking lads so I was doubly shy, the crunch came as they passed nice comments to me and I had to clear their tables as they were piled high with stuff, I did it!!! and after that I got better and better and also dated most of them ;) Funny how we can be but I see that no one is either better or worse than me, we are all worthy of respect....so...COME ALONG!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:16:35 pm »
WElcome, Marigold - sunny in Fife today after a stormy and wet night in the tent  ;D  :&>

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:09 pm »
Thank you all for your welcomes
We/ i will definitely come down to CSSA - I am having to go on holiday next week and my sister is coming to care for my wee flock.
I have never greeted a holiday before with so little enthusiasm. It will be lovely to leave work and worry behind, as long as I can really not worry about my feathered friends.
Unfortunately my sister's dog is a bit too much of a hunter - but I will just have to trust that she can keep him on a lead all the time.
I am really enjoying reading the forum everyday. I will certainly ask here if I have a problem
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:29:18 pm »
I think you need to TELL your sister that your birds are more precious than her dog's freedom.  I would be able to tell my sister - she has a black lab retrievaholic - but then I have three Brittany retrievaholics and a German wire-haired killing machine.  You may read of Hester's misdemeanours in the poultry section.  So my birds get out ONLY when the dogs are all locked in the house.  I take no chances.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 11:42:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum Marigold - you will enjoy our chats and info, and I am sure you will fit in just fine with all those easy going lovely people in bonnie scotland

Julie and Joe ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:30:49 am »
We have the same problem with other peoples' dogs.  Its odd how people who may be visiting for the first time assume its ok to just let their dog out of the car and if it chases the chickens, well its only playing.  We have accidentally resolved this problem as our boar is now more free range than we would like, and enjoys running up to and frightening strange dogs.  As we say to the stunned dog owners "He'sonly playing".  They very quickly return their dogs to the cars.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:02:27 pm »
I like the boar idea.
I was thinking of geese but a boar is a real statement!
There are wild boar across the hill from me - perhaps I should investigate...............
Thanks
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 05:29:22 pm »
Its not intentional he is phobic around electric fences. 

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:36 pm »
Don't worry I was joking. We would love to keep pigs one day but just now we have our hands full and we would need to know what we were doing first. I have my first ducks and I would like to hatch some croad langshans, I haven't ever brought up any chicks before. So perhaps we could consider it next year.
My 15 year old daughter is pig mad and I have always thought that the responsibility might be a bit much. But my OH is keen on growing our own pork and Rosy is wanting to take care of them so I will ask for a book on the subject for my christmas present.
In the meantime I will just have to be stern with visiting dog owners.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS