Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not long now....  (Read 6962 times)

sandy

Re: Not long now....
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:57 pm »
I would love  a HUGE wire lite up Raindeer to put on the porch roof, last year I put a real tree on it and it looked nice but on taking it down it fell and broke the window so I am not allowed to do it again :-[ I do put little christmas trees in all the winow boxes with white fairy lights, that looks nice.....last year I collected some free decorations from a pretty little village, it made my Christmas as the box had some nice things in it!!!!! Little Blue, have you ever worked in Castle Greasly (not sure thats how you spell it) I did!!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 02:00:12 pm »
I usually refuse to produce or buy anything X-massy before Halloween or more like when there are no more apllles that need processing  ;D. I'll start baking a selection of cookies after H,they keep well and are lovely presents. Possibly some Stollen, too. I broke my own rule more than justifyably this year by making green tomato mincemeat as we had blight. it's absolutely lovely! We always put the tree up late (on X-mas eve), it gives a more X-massy feel than if it is up weeks before and nobody really notices anymore. Other than that - good food! I'd love to have venison this year (hate turkey), or maybe a goose. No expensive presents this year, they better save up for what they really want now... :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 08:04:29 pm »
Sandy, no but we have family living near there.
We have a set of 3 wired light up reindeer, bought in the sale last year... so o/h left them up til his birthday (end of feb) to make up for it!
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »
We have a very low key xmas and have mixed my family traditions with my OH.  Like Gavo our children know that Santa doesn't like greedy children.  They can request 3 presents in their letter to Santa, but know that they won't necessarily get all 3.

The last few years we have alternated between going to my OH's parents or them coming to us.  When I was young we had big family xmas's that were so stressful in fact one year there was a punch up over a game of monopoly!

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 04:53:42 pm »
I have done all the entertaining and having family stay for years, this year we are gonna have a quiet christmas on our own at home - with lots of lights and trees in every room, loads of christmas music and lotsa nice food.

Will be wonderful in the cabin in front of the log fire -mmmm looking forward to it ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 08:12:40 pm »
I LOVE your cabin - its beautiful and a perfect place for a peaceful Christmas!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 08:54:17 pm »
Generally spend Christmas at home in the morning then go over to one of my sister's for lunch, spend the afternoon and early evening there, then home to feed the animals and lounge in front of the telly with something nice to drink. Our house isn't really big enough to accomodate all of us. Even with just us, my sisters and their families, we still make 12 people! We have nice food, 2 christmas tree's, and I have in the past couple of years had fairy lights outside too.

I try and keep a lid on the cost of presents, but I do like getting all my neices and nephews something nice- and there are 7 of them! Christmas is way too expensive.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 04:04:27 pm »
Okay our xmas is gona be mad, just arranged for Robin's christening is gona be the 20th December and my parents are coming up and staying for a week and also have the kids for christmas but i think they are going to go back to their house at night so should have room for everyone or lots of bodies everywhere lol

Linz

bamford6

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 03:18:34 pm »
we will be hoping that the snow comes to aviemore caingorm mountain makes Christmas for us as people arrive on Holiday .winter should start 2nd week off november iff all goes to plan last yere 20 th november .christmas day will be spent with the silkies feeding cleaning warm dinner for them

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 06:14:50 pm »
I love Aviemore - it must be a great place to live and spend Christmas.

As a child/teenager we used to go there because I love ice skating and we always had great holidays -

only one complaint - never had brown malt vinegar in the Fish and Chip Shop and that clear vinegar just isn't as strong  ;D ;D ;D

Is there much work there - its very beautiful, but well off the beaten track.  Do you get a summer at all?

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 09:04:16 pm »
I love the anticipation of Christmas but tend to run out of steam at the last minute. We ( Dan, me, his Mum and Dad, brother, sister in law, their to boys and our daughter) usually get together at one of the three houses for lunch / tea. Our house has most room so last year we were all at ours BUT Mark and Mo cooked. That was pretty good - getting looked after in your own home! Not sure what we're doing this year.

We usually have a party on the Sunday before Christmas but might make it Christmas Eve this year - if you haven't got the prep done by then, you might as well relax and go with the flow! It's usually just sausage rolls, mince pies and Chhristmas cake, plus mulled wine and "Winter Pimms". Last year, Dan did a pub quiz, which was a really good icebreaker. Teams of two and you couldn't be in a team with anyone you had slept with!

I go to the watchnight service - I love it and it always makes me cry. My favourite carol is "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem". I usually try to go to church the four Sundays of Advent too. Dan's a heathen so doesn't go.

I'll make Christmas pudding and cake at Hallowe'en or thereabouts. We don't do many cards - usually buy charity ones but this year will buy CSSA ones, if they are available.

We don't really do presents - small gifts only. Last year, gave Dan's Dad a fleece - cost him a fortune, 'cos he had to get a spinning wheel after that.

One regret is that I've not had Christmas with my sister since she got married 42 years ago.

Oooh, I'm all excited now! Thanks, littleblue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS